CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

QR Codes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> QR Codes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
QR Codes - 3/9/2018 4:15:07 PM   
dpolivy

QR Codes are now an official option for those who are printing CellarTracker barcodes! To use them, simply select the QR Code label template from the template drop-down list.

Labels can only be printed from a PC or Mac (this is a DYMO limitation), however the QR Codes can natively be scanned by our mobile apps. You can also purchase a 2D-capable handheld scanner (such as the AirTrack S2 or SocketScan S740) to use these with the full website.

Give it a try, and let us know if you run into any issues!

Dan
Post #: 1
RE: QR Codes - 3/16/2018 4:00:04 PM   
jclary60015

Is there an advantage to using the QR codes over the traditional barcodes that we have been using?

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 2
RE: QR Codes - 3/16/2018 8:06:00 PM   
Eric

This was asked on our Facebook page, and this was my reply:

It is basically the same as a conventional barcode for a CellarTracker user, except that the app is MUCH faster and can read these at a much further distance. (Close to two feet.) Also the barcode is much smaller, so it does not impinge on the wine metadata as much as a conventional barcode, especially now that we are moving to 10-digit barcodes. For a non-CellarTracker user, there is a full, meaningful URL encoded in that barcode which will take any 3rd party QR code reader to the proper wine page on CellarTracker whether or not someone has the app or knows about CellarTracker.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to jclary60015)
Post #: 3
RE: QR Codes - 3/17/2018 12:56:17 PM   
FoodieTraveler

I am interested in finally setting up a bar code system for my cellar and since I waited this long I thought I would go directly to QR codes. I read your other detailed support notes on printers, scanners, etc. but most of them are a few years old. I am wondering if it is now possible to use my iphone as the scanner for both updating my cellar with bar codes on each bottle as well as for consuming the bottles. I do see the bar code function on the app, but wanted to ensure the functionality on the phone will be comparable in speed and accuracy to a scanner. I have a large cellar so I do want to get the right equipment. If I must get a scanner I will, but the phone seems more convenient assuming it is equally as practical. Thank you for your time.

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 4
RE: QR Codes - 3/17/2018 1:05:09 PM   
dpolivy

The mobile apps do contain a barcode scanner that works with CellarTracker barcodes (and QR codes). The main limitations of the mobile app currently are:

1. The scanning is designed to do "one at a time". So you have to scan a bottle, action on that bottle, and then scan another. It can be cumbersome for large bulk operations. Improving this is on our longer term radar, though.
2. Location and bin barcodes are not currently supported. You can print these, and then use them on the desktop website to easily relocate bottles to a new location and/or bin. We do also want to support these on mobile in the longer term.

If you're primarily using the mobile apps for marking bottles as consumed, or looking up details on individual bottles, it'll be great. If you're planning to do lots of bulk relocation or consumption, it's much faster and easier with a handheld scanner and Windows/Mac computer. Hope that helps!

Dan

(in reply to FoodieTraveler)
Post #: 5
RE: QR Codes - 3/17/2018 1:15:33 PM   
FoodieTraveler

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to add individual labels to around 1000 bottles that already have cellar/bin locations set up within CT so It does not appear I need the scanner at all just to bulk print and add the labels, correct? For removal, it will typically be one bottle at a time so it sounds like the phone may be acceptable. Is the DYMO printer and labels still recommended? I ask because I am worried Thermal paper will fade over time. Is there a recommended Thermal Transfer printer?

Thank you for your time.

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 6
RE: QR Codes - 3/18/2018 7:58:09 PM   
dpolivy

If your locations are already entered, then you can just print them from a PC/Mac with a DYMO printer and affix them to the bottles. Using the mobile app to remove them should work fine.

DYMO is the easiest solution, and we haven't had any issues with fading over time, given that the labels are typically stored under cool and dark conditions. It's generally excessive light exposure which causes the fading. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The LabelWriter 450 (Turbo) is a great printer to start with.

Dan

(in reply to FoodieTraveler)
Post #: 7
RE: QR Codes - 3/21/2018 5:47:26 PM   
dpolivy

By request, I've added a QR code template for the dual perforated label size. Enjoy!

Dan

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 8
RE: QR Codes - 5/7/2018 5:33:00 PM   
dpolivy

By request, I've also added a QR code template for the 30252/30320 label size. Enjoy!

Dan

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 9
RE: QR Codes - 7/31/2018 12:20:42 PM   
mikeh19

I'm looking to take the plunge and buy a Dymo printer for qr code labeling. Any opinions of 450 or 450 turbo? At first glance it looks like turbo is just faster, which won't make a difference for me. But if anyone has any experience with quality, durability, or feature differences beyond that I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

(in reply to dpolivy)
Post #: 10
RE: QR Codes - 7/31/2018 12:25:11 PM   
Eric

They are quite comparable. (Over the years I have used a 330, 400 Turbo and now a 450 Turbo.) The slightly faster printing of the turbo models is nice but by no means necessary.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to mikeh19)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> QR Codes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages