CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What form does your cellar take?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 4:52:42 PM   
gbm

They need to be online somewhere other than your computer.  Try www.photobucket.com

(in reply to coach)
Post #: 91
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 4:56:53 PM   
coach

Here's a copy of a previous post...let' see if this works:

Finally had the opportunity build a "wine cellar" after moving to a home with a basement. I used old cabinets from my son's room and some leftover stuff from our remodeling. The small cooler holds 16 bottles and got a great deal for $100 at Home Depot. I got the wood racks from Wine Racks America and they just fit inside the cabinets. The carpeting is remnents that the wife wanted to throw out.

Thanks to CT it doesn't matter where I put my wines as I can find them thru the bin location. I really enjoy the software and think Eric did great job with it. It's also helpful to find and research wines I'm interested in buying, get others tasting notes, compare wines, etc.

I have about 250 bottles and waiting on some 05 Bordeaux Futures. Here are some pics:

The Cellar                        Australian wines                Overflow 
                                     w/screwcaps I can
                                         stand up

Unused Kitchen        16 btl coolr               Central Storage
Cabinets                        

Wife's plastic            Wine Art                                Wine Office
shoe boxes               Poster of wife 1960                Where I
for her                      running for May Queen          make important
Pinot Grigio              at Ohio State                         decisions!

< Message edited by coach -- 9/10/2007 8:34:10 AM >

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 92
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 4:59:20 PM   
gbm

Man - I sure could use an office like that...

(in reply to coach)
Post #: 93
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/30/2008 1:13:59 AM   
stephori

Here are some pictures from french cellars, not so nice as yours, but really useful and really cheap.
http://www.lapassionduvin.com/phorum/read.php?22,296682,page=1

Send me a PM if you need some translations

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 94
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/1/2009 11:53:42 AM   
jamscreator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pavie Princess

My cellar is a large room about 1740 Sq ft that looks like the tasting room at Chateau Margaux.......it has 5 different ceiling types and I had many wood cases from my cellar installed like a quilt on several of the walls and in th epassive cellar area..................I had the floors done in cheisled travertine because I could not find anyone who would install limestone for me in New Orleans..............it even has an arched tumbled marble ceiling over the casks from the Chateau...........love it.

Um, pictures please!  Will you marry me?  I'm sure my wife won't mind.

Jeff Lawson
Twitter: jamscreator

"Drink what you like, and like what you drink."
-Robert Mondavi

(in reply to Pavie Princess)
Post #: 95
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/1/2009 1:19:18 PM   
ewsb

I took the plunge 5 or so years ago and built the walk in - truly a great joy that adds to my enjoyment of choosing and storing wine. It is difficult to photograph but here goes.

< Message edited by ewsb -- 1/1/2009 1:22:19 PM >

(in reply to jamscreator)
Post #: 96
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/1/2009 2:21:18 PM   
Chip512

I bought a Vinotemp 500EC from Costco - 240 bottles in place (just finished entering them into CellarTracker).

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 97
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/2/2009 11:31:57 AM   
victor_r_2005

tacman I live in houston which is only a hop skip and a jump from you! like the joke says I could bring over a couple of bottle then we could raid you cellar! (I think thats how it goes) just think about it! remember i am a novice i could benefit from your teachings!

(in reply to Chip512)
Post #: 98
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/3/2009 3:05:48 PM   
pbm

Hi All,

Finally made time to take and upload pics so I could post on this thread. I’ve tried to provide enough views to give you a sense of the detail as well as the overall look. Any suggestions for improvements would be much appreciated.

My “cellar” is a passive room I had added behind the wall of a built-in bar in our basement. There was an unfinished portion there with two walls below ground level so it struck me as a good location.

Just weeks after moving in four years ago I found unfinished pine racks for about 1500 bottles of wine for sale in the paper by someone who was taking them out of his basement. At that point I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them (I had about 100 bottles) but for $500 it was too good a deal to pass up. Over the course of the next year I started playing around with the racks in different unfinished locations in the basement, monitored the temperate (fairly constant 63 degrees F), and tried to envision what I wanted the room to look like.

In the end I wanted something that was comfortable (not intimidating) and would hold about a thousand bottles but could be expanded. I also wanted room for a small table, small sink, and a counter top to display wines and hold other related items. In other words, I wanted it to be functional not just a display case.

I was fortunate to have found a handyman who is an incredible, dedicated craftsman, and who takes great pride in his work. We’ve used him for a variety of things from building closets to ripping out a gas fireplace and installing a wood burning one with stone front so I knew he’d be perfect. He came up with a lot of nice touches including using wood from the side of an old Vermont barn to frame the entryway, build a door, craft a sink cabinet, and use as molding. He stained the racking and counter top in a distressed fashion and installed the tile floor in a way that used the grout to make the tile look more worn. I found the wrought iron gate at a local antique/junk store for $300 and at my request he added about ten inches to the bottom to discourage any crawling under it by my future (at the time) teenage son and his friends. He also installed speakers connected to the amplifier on the main level. To help keep air circulating and the temp down we added venting along the bottom and top of each wall and covered it in brown paint (behind the racks) and the same color of the stucco in the open.

It took me a long time to find the right fixtures because I didn’t want anything to fancy nor could they be too modern. Ultimately I was pretty happy with what I found.

Still need to find the right hammered copper sink for the area that is currently just covered by loose boards and the proper hanging for the wall immediately to the left of the entryway. I look forward to having to make a decision in the future about whether to add more storage above the counters or add a doorway in the back left to another unfinished portion of the basement where there's enough space to really go wild. Oh, and for those who I know will ask, no I didn’t shoot the mule deer that guards the collection. That came courtesy of my wife’s grandfather.

Entryway during construction looking out from inside the cellar.

To the left as you walk in during construction.

Countertop with beveled edge. Still want to install lighting under the edge.

Completed entryway from the outside.

View my son has (closed and locked door.)

My view (past the gate.)

Looking back from the left side to where the sink will be.

Sink cabinet detail.

Just an example of the little things added by the handyman that made all the difference.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to victor_r_2005)
Post #: 99
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/3/2009 3:18:04 PM   
J2K

pbm,
Looks great. Love the wrought iron gate. I'm gonna have to make a trip cross state to christen that cellar!!

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 100
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/3/2009 3:23:07 PM   
pault

Very nice, looks empty, maybe an east coast convention should be held there. *cough*..

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 101
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/3/2009 4:05:10 PM   
wadcorp

Wonderful looking cellar, pbm.

Appears to be a fantastic place to loiter a bit.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 102
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/4/2009 12:14:20 AM   
pjaines

okay chaps, lets all surprise PBM and turn up un-announced - we need to christen that cellar.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 103
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/4/2009 6:27:09 AM   
Hollowine

Paul, et all...

I say we all fly into NJ/NY, and we will rent a big motor home. We start our driving tour at pbm's cellar near by, we will then head for Nashville and PaviePrincess's cellar, then on to Tacman's in Austin. It's a fair amount of miles, so we may have to plan on taking a few bottles to go from each cellar. We each take turns driving and those who aren't driving can conduct tastings in the back of the coach and update CT notes.

BTW, great cellar Peter, will definitely have to see it in person next time we get together.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 104
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/4/2009 9:39:29 AM   
pbm

Thanks for all the kind comments. Not sure if it adds any incentive for possible visitors but one day I hope to host a poker game in the cellar.

Like I said, if anyone has any thoughts for improvements let me know. I've gotten almost as much enjoyment out of designing it as filling it and emptying it. Almost.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 105
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/4/2009 6:46:11 PM   
Pavie Princess

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamscreator

quote:

My cellar is a large room about 1740 Sq ft that looks like the tasting room at Chateau Margaux.......it has 5 different ceiling types and I had many wood cases from my cellar installed like a quilt on several of the walls and in th epassive cellar area..................I had the floors done in cheisled travertine because I could not find anyone who would install limestone for me in New Orleans..............it even has an arched tumbled marble ceiling over the casks from the Chateau...........love it.

I am terrible at putting up pix.  Here is some of the cellar and tasting room.

s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/Vinceanity_photo/wine%20room%20and%20labels/?action=view&current=wine-cellar8.jpg

< Message edited by Pavie Princess -- 1/4/2009 7:06:47 PM >

(in reply to jamscreator)
Post #: 106
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/4/2009 11:21:28 PM   
geppetto

quote:

quote:

quote:

s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/Vinceanity_photo/wine%20room%20and%20labels/?action=view&current=wine-cellar8.jpg

I am AMAZED!  You are my new hero...

< Message edited by geppetto -- 1/4/2009 11:22:56 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/5/2009 7:56:06 AM   
ikkaariainen

Pavie, that is just unreal and something to be very proud of.

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

Post #: 108
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/5/2009 5:26:05 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

Not sure if it adds any incentive for possible visitors but one day I hope to host a poker game in the cellar.

I'm all for a poker game at the next tasting, I had even been soliciting ideas in a prior Post

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 1/5/2009 5:29:42 PM >

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 109
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 12:56:53 AM   
pjaines

PP - who is the minger with the paintwork?  Is that you?

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/Vinceanity_photo/

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 110
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 8:11:53 AM   
Pavie Princess

I did not know what you meant until I opened it up.  That was a student who attended the recent LSU Ala game this yr who allowed me to photo her.  Her paint job was amazing and she told us that an LSU art student was doing this airbrush for 20 dollars before the game.  Amazing.  I did not realize I put in on their until now.

If it was me my boobs would have been a bit lower.   LOL

Value= Points /Cost

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 111
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 9:36:53 AM   
loli

We don't have a cellar so have to store all the wines on the floor of our apartment, unfortunately...

...ok, was just cleaning the wine cabinet and rearranging the shelves in order to accomodate a 48 bottles of Bordeaux 2006's which should arrive in few weeks. We live in flat so a Vinosafe cabinet for about 200 bottles is our cellar...

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 112
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 10:20:15 AM   
ytsai

quote:

ORIGINAL: loli

We don't have a cellar so have to store all the wines on the floor of our apartment, unfortunately...

Obviously you don't have kdis.  My kids would love to bowling with the bottles...

(in reply to loli)
Post #: 113
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 10:42:10 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

How many cellars do you have??  This is COMPLETELY different than the one you posted for us a month or so ago.

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo68/DS59/

And why did you remove these links from the other thread?

< Message edited by jhannah27 -- 1/6/2009 10:44:17 AM >

-- Jeremy

Post #: 114
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 10:43:19 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you kidding me???!!   You edited all your posts to remove all of the links to these cellar pics that you claimed were yours: http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo68/DS59/  from this thread and now you put up this one and say that it is yours?  Unbeliveable.

Post #: 115
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 11:05:25 AM   
chateaumiller

Why doubt her?

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 116
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 11:17:58 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: chateaumiller

Why doubt her?

You want a list of reasons?

(in reply to chateaumiller)
Post #: 117
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 11:30:44 AM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: chateaumiller

Why doubt her?

You want a list of reasons?

It's a bit like Santa Claus out here on the net, isn't it? Those that want to believe, may do so, those that don't...

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 118
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 11:50:06 AM   
ytsai

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

It's a bit like Santa Claus out here on the net, isn't it? Those that want to believe, may do so, those that don't...

Are you saying there is some possibility that Santa is not real?  Darn, you just ruin my childhood memories

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 119
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 1/6/2009 11:52:21 AM   
RoundersRob

Santa lives just down the street from Niklas.  Didn't you see the pictures from his house with all the snow?

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI