CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What form does your cellar take?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/12/2008 12:21:34 AM   
superbarre

I'va actually build the house myself (well, not myself, you know what I mean), so the cellar was not in place. It was actually the first room of the house that was finished. I had two guys from the village that used to be bricklayers make it. It took a while, because every half level, they had to wait a day for it to dry....

The remoueur was actually there for empty bottles I wanted to keep, but I never come around putting them in, they tend to seem less important than the full ones

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 61
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/12/2008 3:23:40 PM   
Eric K

It started here with the under the counter cellar.  My only magnum is a 2005 Lascombes which is in the brown paper bag.:

Then the Vinotemp was added in a large closet.  I took out the bottom shelf to fit the CDPs and some Pinots.

Of course, I ran out of space, so along came the Magic Chef.  It was on sale at the Depot with a rebate.

Lastly, when my house was built I had a wired network built in.  Here  is the rack I installed for network gear.  The Dymo is on a print server on the network so I can print labels from anywhere.

My advice to anyone buying cellar fridges, is to just get the bigger one, you are going to need it.

(in reply to superbarre)
Post #: 62
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 8:35:19 AM   
sossher

My cellar is in a room at the back of a garage.  Because I live on a hill in San Francisco, and the room is at the back of the house, 3 of the walls are under ground level, so the room naturally stays cool (between around 57 in the winter and 64 in the summer).  I only use half of the room for wine (the other half is used for storage).  Currently I have rack space for around 1500 bottles and I have 650 bottles (plus storing 200 for a friend).

Here is a picture

Regards
Steve

< Message edited by sossher -- 12/13/2008 9:29:59 AM >

(in reply to Eric K)
Post #: 63
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 8:41:56 AM   
pjaines

Erik K - you are the zenith of geekdom.  I salute you

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 64
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 12:39:36 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sossher

My cellar is in a room at the back of a garage.  Because I live on a hill in San Francisco, and the room is at the back of the house, 3 of the walls are under ground level, so the room naturally stays cool (between around 57 in the winter and 64 in the summer).  I only use half of the room for wine (the other half is used for storage).  Currently I have rack space for around 1500 bottles and I have 650 bottles (plus storing 200 for a friend).

Regards
Steve

All that space in the middle begs for a nice little cascade style rack that protrudes into the center of the room.  :)

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 65
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 2:41:14 PM   
huorn

I built this under the staircase going into our basement

< Message edited by huorn -- 12/13/2008 2:46:06 PM >

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 66
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 3:00:10 PM   
grafstrb

Steve,

Welcome to the forum!  That is one nice-looking cellar ... I like the size!  Aren't you worried about an earthquake rattling many of your prized possessions out of their slots?  There's been a couple threads on eBob talking about potential solutions to this potential problem.  With that much fine wine, I'd consider taking some precautionary measures?

Next time I'm in "the City" ( ... inside joke ... sorry) I'll let ya' know ... I'll bring a bottle or two and maybe we can raid that cellar of yours!

- Brian

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to huorn)
Post #: 67
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 3:00:45 PM   
pbm

quote:

Steve,

My stomach got queasy looking at all that wine racked like that and your location being SF. Have you looked at ways to better secure it in the event of an earthquake?

...and I agree about the cascading rack in the center.

Peter

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to huorn)
Post #: 68
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 3:08:33 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

quote:

Steve,

My stomach got queasy looking at all that wine racked like that and your location being SF. Have you looked at ways to better secure it in the event of an earthquake?

Peter

wow ... same reaction within seconds

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 69
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 3:28:38 PM   
tacman

quote:

Steve,

Peter

Someone needs to invent airbags for wines ...
TC

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 70
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 3:55:53 PM   
Eric K

Paul,
I have yet to get the barcode scanner.  But someday I will.

Steve,
Very neat job with the bottle tags, where do you get them.   How do you have the bottles organized, and what do you you to keep track of inventory.

Eric K

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 71
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 4:17:06 PM   
gbm

This might be better as another thread, but what do you all write on the tags that hang on the neck of the bottle? 

(in reply to Eric K)
Post #: 72
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 4:23:00 PM   
sossher

Brian

The racks themselves are attached to the walls - so hopefully not too much risk on that front.  In terms of individual bottles coming out the slots, that is a bit of a risk, but the bottles for the most part either fit fairly snugly (especially Syrah & Pinot bottles).  As for the thinner Cab type bottles, they tend to stay where they, are since the body of the bottle below the neck drops below the front bottom ledge of each slot in the rack.

While I do have household insurance that covers my wine, I do not have earthquake insurance.   To be honest, I'd think I would have much bigger problems if (or should I say "when") the big one comes.  On a more positive note, we do live on fairly solid ground in Noe Valley.  A lot better than my old apartment in the Marina, built on landfill!

- Steve

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 73
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 4:36:00 PM   
sossher

GBM / Eric K

The tags are re-usable plastic snap tags made by Vinote (a company in Australia).  They are a little pricey ($85 for 250).  You can write on them with an erasable marker, but I actually simply stick my Dymo barcode labels (using Eric's standard template) on the tabs and then remove them when I drink the bottle and re-use the tag.  I do use color coded stickers as well on the tags, to help me keep things organized, and to more easily recognize a varietal. 

All the bottles are in Cellartracker, and I sort by them by using "racks" as my individual bins.  So I have 8 bins on the left wall, 8 on the center wall, and 7 on the right wall (1 of the 7 on the right wall holds magnums).  Wine in general is organized by the following regions: Washington, Oregon, Central Coast, North Coast, Sonoma, Napa, South Africa, Australia and France.

- Steve

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 74
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 4:49:40 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Steve,

Welcome to the forum!  That is one nice-looking cellar ... I like the size!  Aren't you worried about an earthquake rattling many of your prized possessions out of their slots?  There's been a couple threads on eBob talking about potential solutions to this potential problem.  With that much fine wine, I'd consider taking some precautionary measures?

Next time I'm in "the City" ( ... inside joke ... sorry) I'll let ya' know ... I'll bring a bottle or two and maybe we can raid that cellar of yours!

- Brian

Grafs...was this comment from the discussion I had in another thread with CL about how people from SF refer to the City, or are you an Eddie Izzard fan?

Welcome Steve!  I only wish I still lived in "The City" so I might be able to see that beautiful cavern in person! 

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 75
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 4:53:53 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Steve,

- Brian

Grafs...was this comment from the discussion I had in another thread with CL about how people from SF refer to the City, or are you an Eddie Izzard fan?

Welcome Steve!  I only wish I still lived in "The City" so I might be able to see that beautiful cavern in person! 

lol ... yuppers!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 76
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/13/2008 5:02:55 PM   
jhannah27

Well done.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 77
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/20/2008 9:12:32 PM   
ikkaariainen

Jesus, tacman, that is unbelievably beautiful. Currently my own ~300 bottle collection is in a commercially available temperature and climate controlled wine cabinet, the size limitation is definitely a factor in a number of ways in deciding what to drink and when and also in terms of what to buy and when. Makes a strong case for interventional cardiology against inpatient nephrology and general inpatient hospitalist medicine ;)

< Message edited by ikkaariainen -- 12/20/2008 9:16:04 PM >

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 78
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/20/2008 10:32:49 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ikkaariainen

Jesus, tacman, that is unbelievably beautiful. Currently my own ~300 bottle collection is in a commercially available temperature and climate controlled wine cabinet, the size limitation is definitely a factor in a number of ways in deciding what to drink and when and also in terms of what to buy and when. Makes a strong case for interventional cardiology against inpatient nephrology and general inpatient hospitalist medicine ;)

It sounds glamourous, but my Nephrology colleagues go home much earlier in the day.
Again, single income/single budget makes a big difference.
One of my former fellows (Mike Hodges) settled out in the triangle somewhere ... heard of him?

TC

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 79
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/21/2008 3:20:14 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: sossher

My cellar is in a room at the back of a garage.

Wow! Kudos, sossher. And a belated welcome to the CellarTracker! Forum.

Very, very nice wine room. I'm happy to stop by next time I'm in San Francisco, and help "thin out the herd" so to speak. Don't want to have too many break in an earthquake, as others are saying.

I'm so helpful…

Earlier in the thread, you'll see photos of my cellar. Not quite as grand, as ours only holds 200 in the racks. We also built a platform to keep any errant water away from the racks, but then ours is in a basement. You don't have any risk of water, do you?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 80
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/24/2008 7:54:36 AM   
sossher

wadcorp

I don't think we have too much of a risk of water or flooding.  The picture you see is of one side (half) of the room.  I stood on the other side as I took the picture.  I use the other side for some other strorage.  I am tempted to use the other side for wine storage too, but I am afraid that if I put racks on the other side of the room, more wine will suddenly "need" to be bought! 

Anyways, on the other side of the room is a drain which would collect any water in the cellar, and run it down to the front of the garage (to our front street).

Thanks
Steve

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 81
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/24/2008 8:24:41 AM   
pbm

quote:

I am afraid that if I put racks on the other side of the room, more wine will suddenly "need" to be bought!

Sossher,

Welcome to the forum. I realize we don't know each other but I thought I should let you know that the point is to buy (and drink) more wine. I recommend installing more racks immediately.

Peter

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 82
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/24/2008 8:39:37 AM   
sossher

quote:

quote:

I am afraid that if I put racks on the other side of the room, more wine will suddenly "need" to be bought!

Sossher,

Welcome to the forum. I realize we don't know each other but I thought I should let you know that the point is to buy (and drink) more wine. I recommend installing more racks immediately.

Peter

Peter

I am completely with you, and in fact I am blessed to have a wife (and her family) who are as into wine as I am.  Unfortunately, for some reason, she does not understand that when you drink a lot of wine, you have to buy a lot of wine!

Steve

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 83
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/24/2008 10:13:28 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

Unfortunately, for some reason, she does not understand that when you drink a lot of wine, you have to buy a lot of wine!

This is the story of my life...

-- Jeremy

(in reply to sossher)
Post #: 84
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/25/2008 12:55:56 PM   
coach

We moved to a condo with a huge basement so it was a great opportunity to build a wine cellar, which I always wanted to do. Starting with old cabinets I inserted wood wine racks that just fit  {from American Wine Racks}; got 2 small 'fridges and expanded with chrome wine racks I found on the internet (they each hold about 150 bottles). I just finished putting away 26 cases that had been on b/o, organized everything, entered it on CT. I now have about 1000 bottles and that will be about my limit.

I don't separate the wines but do have bin locations so I let CT do the sorting for me. What great software Eric developed....I marvel everytime I use it.

My wife has been after me to build a "real" cellar, so has our contractor, but I just can't see spending the money....rather put it into more wine!

These pictures were from last year....it's about twice as long now.

THE CELLAR                                          MY OFFICE    

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 85
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/25/2008 1:36:33 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: coach

These pictures were from last year....it's about twice as long now.

THE CELLAR                                          MY OFFICE    

Doesn't look like your pics came through Coach. There are some tips in the Active Users thread on posting pics if you need a hand, or just give us a shout out.

Cheers!

(in reply to coach)
Post #: 86
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 2:06:56 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

There are some tips in the Active Users thread on posting pics if you need a hand, or just give us a shout out.

You are welcome to send me a PM if you need the images sized. I'm a graphic designer & have the full-boat Photoshop.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 87
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 3:30:29 PM   
Epcat

Started with a few bottles under the stairs, then a rack for 50 or so. Overflow went into a small pantry which also quickly filled. Two 40 bottle (or so) wine fridges in a closet followed by 200 bottle Transtherm. Overflow into one 3x3x4 storage unit and then another (the one my wife doesn't know about yet) plus some in two basements in France and another basement in Maine. Enthusiastic member of the "buy 2 (or more), drink one school. I really envy those of you with space to create a real cellar. I absolutely could never keep track of this without CT!!! Thank you, Eric!!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 88
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 4:49:40 PM   
coach

thanks...see if you get these

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 89
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/26/2008 4:51:49 PM   
coach

I copied the photos out of my documents but they can't be sent and didn't appear again.Isn't there an "insert" key somewhere on this posting software....I recall there used to be

(in reply to coach)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI