CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

117f today

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 117f today Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
117f today - 5/9/2024 6:43:06 PM   
Eduardo787

This is just hell. I swear that even the dog wanted to go outside and when I opened the door for her and she went outside she laste 2 seconds, did a 180 and came back in. This temps are pure evil and inhumane. If we did not hit a record we were 1 or 2f from it.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: 117f today - 5/9/2024 9:23:29 PM   
khmark7

Temps never reached 60°F here in Chicago so it can't possibly be global warming.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: 117f today - 5/10/2024 3:17:36 AM   
Echinosum

I just don't know how you can survive at such a temperature you are experiencing. So much above blood temperature, it's almost hot enough to cook something sous-vide.

I was just looking at the climate of Monterrey on Wikipedia, and it is quite odd. The hottest time of year, in terms of average temperature is June to August. But the record hottest individual days have occurred in April and May, when the average temperature are several degrees lower.

Monsoon climates, for example in north India, have a hot season around April to June, preceding the monsoon in July to September. But it is actually hotter all around in the hot season in these three-season warm temperate monsoon climates. It is odd to have the hottest individual days at a time of year which is, typically and on average, quite markedly cooler than the warmest season period.

Lee Kwan Yiew, the former leader of Singapore, once said something to the effect that the origin of the city-state's wealth was air conditioning, as it was hard to work in a such a climate without it. But having an equatorial climate, it has not yet got to 37C (98 in old money) there. Which is a lot less than you are experiencing.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: 117f today - 5/10/2024 6:29:58 AM   
River Rat

I feel your pain. We got 116° here a few years back and I thought the world was coming to an end. We have no AC here either because it just doesn’t get that hot here, ever. Until now.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 4
RE: 117f today - 5/10/2024 3:26:15 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

I just don't know how you can survive at such a temperature you are experiencing. So much above blood temperature, it's almost hot enough to cook something sous-vide.

Its actually extremely oppressing and beyond tolerable. Its Death Valley temps. The worst of all is that you cannot put the air conditioning at home at a confortable setting because the machine will will simply be working without any rest whatsoever. Yesterday we put the air conditioning at 27c....yes, 27c and had all fans in the ON position just for moving air. If I put the air at 24 in a day that outside was 46c I was risking the machine itself and you do not want the ac unit to fail right now, it would be absolutely crazy.

Yes, our hottest day of the year is typically in May, maybe 1 or 2 days and then we go back to upper 90f or lower 100s, July and August is like in Dallas, every day we are above 100 but below 110 or 112f. Believe me 117f is absolutely unbereable, put a hair dryer in your face and thats how it felt, absolutely crazy.

Today its upper 90f and we can breathe.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 5
RE: 117f today - 5/10/2024 3:58:47 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

I feel your pain. We got 116° here a few years back and I thought the world was coming to an end. We have no AC here either because it just doesn’t get that hot here, ever. Until now.

We put in A/C last year but only ran it twice. It was a cooler summer than expected, but more importantly we didn't end up with the firesmoke of the previous two years which is what convinced us, after 20 comfortable years here, that things had changed that drastically. I would think you'd be in a similar boat down there--heat isn't the only issue.

And Eduardo--I feel for you! Anything over 80 is too warm for me. Over 90 and I turn into a slug. I can't imagine 117.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 6
RE: 117f today - 5/11/2024 7:40:43 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

We put in A/C last year but only ran it twice. It was a cooler summer than expected, but more importantly we didn't end up with the firesmoke of the previous two years which is what convinced us, after 20 comfortable years here, that things had changed that drastically. I would think you'd be in a similar boat down there--heat isn't the only issue.

And Eduardo--I feel for you! Anything over 80 is too warm for me. Over 90 and I turn into a slug. I can't imagine 117.

I kinda look at the fires as a cyclical thing. Same things happened here 50+ years ago and we did nothing to manage forest land in-between other than add homes and met all the trees and brush grow back. When the fires burned the same swath of land as the previous century it was devastating. The landscape has changed over the past 7 years and the threat of fires locally is diminished by the lack of fuel and heightened preparedness. We’ll see moving forward if the heat waves are just as cyclical. Or not.

< Message edited by River Rat -- 5/11/2024 7:45:13 AM >

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 7
RE: 117f today - 5/11/2024 9:38:07 PM   
Rich64N

I'm "Bi-lingual" with English (SAE) and Metric (Engineer) and anything over 40C (104F) is miserable to me (cough 35C), you were at 47C. When I lived in Iceland over 20 years ago if it got to 25C (77F) almost everything shut down except the gas stations (mini-marts, fast food) as a "Sun Holiday" Sónheligur) was declared. I remember going to my car insurance agency and finding it closed with a Sun Holiday sign in the window.
Today near Seattle I got to 90F (very low humidity, under 20%) and turned on the window AC upstairs.
So many folks just do not understand what a blessing air conditioning is around the world.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 8
RE: 117f today - 5/12/2024 4:23:26 AM   
KPB

My daughter lives in Tucson… equally extreme! Eduardo, we feel for you.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Rich64N)
Post #: 9
RE: 117f today - 5/13/2024 4:17:27 AM   
khmark7

I hate using air con. It has to be 90+ outside for me to turn on the AC. I just use window fans when possible. My coworker from Vietnam and myself joke with our coworkers about how they turn the air con on when it's 71 degrees outside.....weak.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: 117f today - 5/15/2024 12:20:49 AM   
penguinoid

That is crazily hot, especially so early in the year. It sometimes gets that hot in Adelaide, so I've experienced days when it's been 117F (47.2C) or maybe even 118F (47.8C) and it is just crazy. At one point I had to walk a few hundred metres outside to get to university, and I regretted it pretty much immediately.

Makes me feel better about the grey drizzly weather where I currently am. There's going to be a high of 16C (60.8F) today! Hardly seems like May, but better than too hot

< Message edited by penguinoid -- 5/15/2024 12:22:06 AM >

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 11
RE: 117f today - 5/21/2024 12:31:43 PM   
DoubleD1969

Stuck in traffic in Newark. 85F outside. A/C just died. Can’t imagine 117F.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 12
RE: 117f today - 5/22/2024 1:31:43 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Stuck in traffic in Newark. 85F outside. A/C just died. Can’t imagine 117F.

Stuck in trafffic in Kapa'a. 81F outside. Can't imagine anything right now other than nice.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 13
RE: 117f today - 5/22/2024 4:49:17 AM   
DoubleD1969

Ahhh … Kauai is one of my favorite places on earth that I’ve visited. Enjoy Joe!

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 14
RE: 117f today - 5/22/2024 6:42:40 PM   
champagneinhand

Just some perspective in 2012 in early May I was visiting my sister in Las Vegas. It was 115 and only the 10th and she had no pool in the area so I got a room on the strip because add the concrete and asphalt nothing cooled so my young daughter and I spent the next 3 days I the pool at the Stratosphere and it was the first music festival Electric Daisy Carnival at the Racetrack and they were prepared for mass casualties as everybody was ready to rave from across the globe. My niece was a paramedic back then and had to be stationed on bike out in the desert.

Hot years are not fun, but as it’s said at least it’s a dry heat. Rain Forest/ jungle heat with thick air, hot damp water and moss everywhere with air so thick it’s hard to breathe. At least in the dry heat your perspiration still works.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 15
RE: 117f today - 5/23/2024 12:03:35 PM   
WineGuyCO

Up to 70F here today and dry. 15% humidity. This time of year at 7200’ is just the best. Grew up in low desert with similar temps in Summer. I bailed to college after HS and never went back nor will ever go back. I have friends & family in AZ…No thanks. I’ll take cold in Winter so I don’t have to deal with hot & humid in Summer. Life is too short.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 16
RE: 117f today - 5/24/2024 4:10:17 PM   
Eduardo787

116f today. Really really impossible to live a normal life. It has been aboslutely horrible this May with us.

And yes, it was in Monterrey were 3 days ago 9 people got killed at a political rally. It was a 115f day and suddenly out of nowhere we got 80 mph winds with about 50,000 lightning strikes and .09 inches of rain . Incredible, this is hell

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 17
RE: 117f today - 5/24/2024 4:57:43 PM   
KPB

“If you find yourself in hell, which wine would you drink” seems like the right thread topic.

But of course, in hell you drink beer, specifically lukewarm Budweiser. You can chase it with a shot of Laws Whiskey House if you like. Migraine hits even before the burn.

< Message edited by KPB -- 5/24/2024 6:32:10 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 18
RE: 117f today - 5/24/2024 5:45:49 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

“If you find yourself in hell, which wine would you drink” seems like the right thread topic.

But of course, in hell you drink beer, specifically lukewarm Budweiser. You can chase it with a shot of Laws Whiskey House if you like. Igraine hits even before the burn.

I am 100% that sure in hell you are served warm Corona.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: 117f today - 5/24/2024 6:03:14 PM   
khmark7

Still have yet to turn on any air con at my house, despite our recent tropical temps.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 20
RE: 117f today - 5/25/2024 9:38:32 AM   
DoubleD1969

“Warm Corona”. 😂

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 117f today Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages