CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Godello.. pls help me out here!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Godello.. pls help me out here! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/29/2024 12:40:45 PM   
mutwonmax

My experience with white wine is very limited! I have tasted only a few grapes, mostly Riesling and Pinot Gris. Now, I have just opened a bottle of Ultreia 2021 (Bierzo), a white from Spain. It's made from Godello grape and it's an entrylevel white from Raul Perez. I'm not utterly convinced by this wine. Some aspects about it i like. I like its freshness, its saltyness and its minerality. But in my opinion, it also lacks depth and its a tad bitter when it leaves the mouth...
Does anybody know this wine? Who of you has experience with this grape? Are my impressions typical, or will I be likely to find Godellos up the ladder more to my liking? And also,..which other more commonly known grape would you say this wine is similar to? Does it compare to chardonnay a little?

I'm even not quite sure qhat I am aiming for exactly with this post. I think I would appreciate to find out whether its worth exploring Godello further...

< Message edited by mutwonmax -- 3/29/2024 12:46:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/29/2024 1:56:53 PM   
KPB

I’ve had it and like you, was not thrilled. His Sketch is awesome, but this particular white wine seems strange to me.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 2
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/29/2024 4:05:08 PM   
forceberry

Godello is definitely one of the greatest white varieties of Spain's northwestern corner. Ultreia, however, might not be that typical expression of the variety - it is made with fruit from north-facing sites to keep the level of alcohol down and to emphasize freshness and minerality instead of fruit and volume. Also, a small portion of the wines are aged in untopped barrels that develop a little bit of flor, which adds its own twist. Not enough to make you think there is something Sherried in there - just as a subtle overtone. A lovely wine, but definitely not for everyone.

If you want to check out some other great Godellos, Cesar Marquez Perez and Rafael Palacios are a few names one should remember.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 3
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/29/2024 5:46:32 PM   
Paul852

It doesn't sound like what you had was typical (thanks Forceberry for the usual incisive comments). I've only had a range of godellos from two producers, Valdesil and Emilio Moro, but I've enjoyed nearly all of thm

My godello tasting notes: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Notes&szSearch=godello&UserOverride=595053

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 4
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/29/2024 7:21:39 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

Godello is definitely one of the greatest white varieties of Spain's northwestern corner. Ultreia, however, might not be that typical expression of the variety - it is made with fruit from north-facing sites to keep the level of alcohol down and to emphasize freshness and minerality instead of fruit and volume. Also, a small portion of the wines are aged in untopped barrels that develop a little bit of flor, which adds its own twist. Not enough to make you think there is something Sherried in there - just as a subtle overtone. A lovely wine, but definitely not for everyone.

If you want to check out some other great Godellos, Cesar Marquez Perez and Rafael Palacios are a few names one should remember.

I’ve never had a Godello and don’t feel particularly motivated to try one, but I very much appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge! Thank you!

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 5
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 3/30/2024 12:57:52 AM   
mutwonmax

Yes, indeed, thank you all for your answers. They are much appreciated! I shall try some more Godellos...

< Message edited by mutwonmax -- 3/30/2024 12:58:23 AM >

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 6
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/1/2024 12:18:11 PM   
River Rat

Procure yourself an Avancia Nobleza Old Vines Godello. ‘21s are 🔥. You can thank me later.

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 7
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/2/2024 10:03:23 AM   
Rieslingfan

Orixe Sotelo in California is doing some good things with Godello on its own (the Soto bottling) or to supplement Albarino (the Albor bottling). Fun stuff.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 8
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/2/2024 11:05:52 AM   
KPB

I checked and Sketch is an Albarino, not a Godello. But worth trying if you are curious to see Raul Perez at his best!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Rieslingfan)
Post #: 9
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/2/2024 11:24:20 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I checked and Sketch is an Albarino, not a Godello. But worth trying if you are curious to see Raul Perez at his best!

...and can find it.

As for Godello, I've had Raul Perez's Ultreia expression a few times and I love it. But I'm into that sort of thing.

That being said, forceberry is correct: Godello is a very important white variety in Spain and capable of serious wines.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/3/2024 7:02:22 AM   
mutwonmax

Hi again. It's great to get so many responses

I have had Sketch on my list for a while (@KPB thanks to one of your references in another thread, I believe) and i have added Avancia Nobleza to that list too. Both are however at the upper end of my price range for whites at the moment - so these will have to wait a while (I tend to be willing to spend at least twice as much per bottle for reds as for whites - is that only me or is it a common thing?)

Meanwhile I have ordered a few bottles of Cesar Marquez' La Salvacion 2021. There is me trying some more Godello.

So thanks again for all the advice!

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 11
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 4/4/2024 6:24:19 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: mutwonmax
(I tend to be willing to spend at least twice as much per bottle for reds as for whites - is that only me or is it a common thing?)

I used to think like that. Getting past that mental block opened up a whole new world of fantastic wines for me. These days I’m more likely to spend the higher dollar amt on white than I am red.

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 12
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 5/10/2024 8:41:13 AM   
mutwonmax

So .. I ve tried two more Godellos:
La salvaccion from Perez (2021), which I quite liked.

And I liked even more the Rafael Palacios Louro do Bolo (2022). I liked this one so much that I was a bit surprised by the grades it gets on Cellar Tracker. I was under the impression that this one leans a bit more towards the taste of a dry Riesling, which maybe the reason why I enjoyed it so much on the spot.

Then again.. the more I try Godellos the more I find myself aprreciating what I would describe as some kind of very straight steely/ironlike (green) freshness it has to it.

Im certain I'll grab other Godellos and try some more.

And I would definately recommend the Louro do Bolo, in my opinion it has a terrific QPR.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 13
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 5/10/2024 9:16:04 AM   
River Rat

The Raul Perez La Del Vivo is quite nice as well.

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 14
RE: Godello.. pls help me out here! - 5/10/2024 11:42:49 PM   
mutwonmax

quote:

The Raul Perez La Del Vivo is quite nice as well.

That's good to know! I already have three bottles of that one from 2021 waiting in my cellar.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Godello.. pls help me out here! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI