CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

CdP decant time

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CdP decant time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 4:50:57 AM   
Eduardo787

Today I will open 3 CdP at home and have no idea how long should I decant them. Since I don´t know a lot of CdP wines and after reading reviews here that are all over the place, I was wondering about the better way to play it. The wines are from the 2006 and 2007 vintage and are in the 60-80 range. One of them is Vieux Telegraphe 2007 " La Crau" , the others I don´t recall and I am at my office already so I cannot tell you

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 5:33:56 AM   
KPB

No need to decant those... I only decant very young Rhône reds, and these are already mature. I might open them an hour early, but that’s enough.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 7:35:24 AM   
wine247365

Coincidentally, I drank the Telegraphe La Crau back on Jan 24 this year and gave it a 30 minute decant and thought it easily could’ve used a 90 minute one. I use a wide bottomed decanter and am also of the belief that all wines, except for super old, benefit from some decant...even whites. I look for decanting clues from others TNs, but they’re not always shared. Full disclosure though, my spouse matches me glass for glass so I try to get a wine to it’s “best” drinking spot asap and don’t care too much about how it evolves over hours as my open bottles don’t last that long when enjoyed by two! I’ll be curious to hear about your experience.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 3
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 9:12:58 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

Coincidentally, I drank the Telegraphe La Crau back on Jan 24 this year and gave it a 30 minute decant and thought it easily could’ve used a 90 minute one. I use a wide bottomed decanter and am also of the belief that all wines, except for super old, benefit from some decant...even whites. I look for decanting clues from others TNs, but they’re not always shared. Full disclosure though, my spouse matches me glass for glass so I try to get a wine to it’s “best” drinking spot asap and don’t care too much about how it evolves over hours as my open bottles don’t last that long when enjoyed by two! I’ll be curious to hear about your experience.

When I want to see how a bottle of red evolves over time, I have to distract my wife with a shiny object. (AKA a bottle of Champagne.)

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 4
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 10:07:51 AM   
GalvezGuy

Instead of decanting, I pour it down to the shoulder (about 1/2 glass) and check in with it until it gets to where I am happy. Generally takes about 45 minutes for all of the funk and VA to blow off.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 5
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 12:46:14 PM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Instead of decanting, I pour it down to the shoulder (about 1/2 glass) and check in with it until it gets to where I am happy. Generally takes about 45 minutes for all of the funk and VA to blow off.

I too like the shoulder method (for wines in general). Additionally, the poured out glass can act as a canary in a coalmine for older wines. If the wine in the glass starts to fall apart after some time, I'll put the cork back in the bottle and try to have the rest of the bottle drunk ASAP while it's still presentable.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 6
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 8:27:45 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

So we didn´t opened the Telegraphe since one of my friends had late work and could not come over. But boy oh boy, I definitely did not enjoyed the other CdP that I opened ! I definitely enjoyed the gigondas a lot while the CdP was a complete disaster for me , just horrible. I have 5 or 6 Telegraphe in my cellar and I will open one soon so I can see what is going on with my taste buds and CdP.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 7
RE: CdP decant time - 11/16/2020 8:45:16 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

So we didn´t opened the Telegraphe since one of my friends had late work and could not come over. But boy oh boy, I definitely did not enjoyed the other CdP that I opened ! I definitely enjoyed the gigondas a lot while the CdP was a complete disaster for me , just horrible. I have 5 or 6 Telegraphe in my cellar and I will open one soon so I can see what is going on with my taste buds and CdP.

As a rule of thumb, you can say that the CdP from a given house is usually 30-45% more expensive than their Gigondas/Rasteau of comparable quality

But I'm a cynic

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 8
RE: CdP decant time - 11/17/2020 5:17:07 AM   
Ricardo

2007 was a "hot" vintage, much hyped at first but I have to say I never enjoyed many of my Gigondas or CDP from that year, too often alcoholic and jammy. I don't think decanting would improve things, the problem I have sometimes with decanting is keeping the wine cool enough to drink, I certainly wouldn't be drinking any of these 2007s at more than 16C...

I haven't tried 2007 VT though...on a lower level, my 2007 Coudoulet de Beaucastels turned out quite well, none left sadly!

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 9
RE: CdP decant time - 11/17/2020 7:12:35 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

quote:

Inquiring minds need to know...decant, slow ox, or PnP? Your perceptions of how it worked would be appreciated, too!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 10
RE: CdP decant time - 11/17/2020 7:52:00 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

As a rule of thumb, you can say that the CdP from a given house is usually 30-45% more expensive than their Gigondas/Rasteau of comparable quality

But I'm a cynic

Chateau Saint Cosme would be an exception to that.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 11
RE: CdP decant time - 11/17/2020 6:38:23 PM   
khmark7

I use those large Riedel Syrah/Rhone stems, so no need to decant in those. I take my time and enjoy the wine in the glass. I never decant anything.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> CdP decant time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll