CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Vin Jaune?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Vin Jaune? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vin Jaune? - 4/18/2024 11:26:12 PM   
recotte

I know what Vin Jaune is, how it's made, and that most, or at least the most famous versions of it, come from Jura. But I've never had it. Any thoughts out there on specific producers to try?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post #: 1
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/19/2024 12:05:10 AM   
ROEL

Tissot (Bénédicte et Stéphane / André et Mireille)

I've had the good fortune of tasting number of their wines (not only Vin Jaune) thanks to a friend who knows the Tissots well.
Quality is always top notch.

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 2
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/19/2024 5:21:22 AM   
forceberry

Tissot makes a big number of different Jaunes and I think not all are as successful as others. Some are just too heavy and cumbersome for my preference. And most of them are rather expensive, too.

When it comes to young Jaunes, ie. wines readily available in the market, Ganevat's take on the style is IMO by far the best and most complex. However, it is also pretty pricey and can be hard to come across.

Some great names that make consistently good stuff year in year out: Jean Bourdy, Berthet-Bondet, Chevassu-Fassenet and Champ Divin. I've had also one Gabrielle Rizzi wine and that was superb as well.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 3
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/19/2024 6:34:08 AM   
penguinoid

I've only tried one of Tíssot's vins jaunes, and I can't remember which now, but I remember it being good. They do make quite a few though.
(When looking for their wines, you should also bear in mind that there are a number of other wineries with Tissot in the name from other branches of the family, which just adds to the confusion... )

Domaine Macle in Château-Chalon is also worth looking out for. The village of Château-Chalon is particularly well known for its vins jaunes, which are bottled as AOC Château-Chalon.

I remember being quite impressed with the vins jaunes from the Fruitière Vinicole d'Arbois and Fruitière Vinicole de Voiteur, both of which are good value for money if you want to try the wine style without spending as much money.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 4
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/19/2024 11:19:31 PM   
Paul852

My single experience was with the 2016 Fruitiere Vinicole d'Arbois. It was fine, but not a style I'll drink often or in quantity. Not the cheapest wine around - that was ~US$36.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 4/19/2024 11:20:29 PM >

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 5
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/20/2024 1:52:50 PM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid
I remember being quite impressed with the vins jaunes from the Fruitière Vinicole d'Arbois and Fruitière Vinicole de Voiteur, both of which are good value for money if you want to try the wine style without spending as much money.

Seconded.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

It was fine, but not a style I'll drink often or in quantity. Not the cheapest wine around - that was ~US$36.

That's pretty cheap for a VJ. You can find them at lower prices if you are in Jura, but outside Jura one can expect to pay at least $40-50 for a bottle of VJ. Of course one can find some exceptions, but usually those are cheap for a good reason.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 6
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/21/2024 2:54:28 AM   
Echinosum

There are a scattering of other flor-affected table wines around, and can be a lot cheaper. Generally some other variety than savagnin.

I've been drinking a South African flor-affected chenin blanc called Perfectly Flawed Episode 16 (spot the pun) from a producer called The Liberator. The Liberator is one of these SA producers, like BlankBottle and indeed to some extent Chris Alheit, who look for interesting things that growers have, and develop and market them.

I've been drinking the 2017 over a few years. It's been interesting from the start, but not so interesting I wanted a lot of it. Then it showed some really nice development on the most recently opened bottle, and made me wish I had got some more. It's really cheap, and a lot of people wouldn't like it. But vin jaune drinkers would, I think, but I think it is difficult to target a connection with that market. So sold as a curiosity at a modest price to curious buyers.

< Message edited by Echinosum -- 4/21/2024 2:55:44 AM >

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 7
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/21/2024 11:06:58 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry
quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

It was fine, but not a style I'll drink often or in quantity. Not the cheapest wine around - that was ~US$36.

That's pretty cheap for a VJ. You can find them at lower prices if you are in Jura, but outside Jura one can expect to pay at least $40-50 for a bottle of VJ. Of course one can find some exceptions, but usually those are cheap for a good reason.

Vin jaune seems to be a 'love it or hate it' wine style, so I could really see why some might dislike it. I've really enjoyed the wines I've got to try.

Fruitière Vinicole d'Artois are generally good value for money, and their vins jaunes are no exception.

In the region, I've often seen decent bottles for €35-45 (US$38-48). In Australia, it's rare to find any for less than AU$100 (~US$65) per bottle -- and, realistically, rare to find any bottles of vin jaune at all. The requirements for production mean it's not a cheap wine style to produce.

< Message edited by penguinoid -- 4/21/2024 11:07:33 AM >

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 8
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/22/2024 7:32:19 PM   
recotte

I posted my question then promptly skipped town and have largely been offline, but I appreciate the insights above. I'll see what I can track down!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 9
RE: Vin Jaune? - 4/27/2024 7:59:49 AM   
xyc

Perhaps of interest. "Le mystère du vin jaune" MHZ France TV series Blood of the Vine, Season 3, episode 4 (French with subtitles)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Vin Jaune? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote