CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR: Sous Vide v Grill

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Sous Vide v Grill Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 8:46:52 AM   
daviladc

There have been a few threads that shifted over to this topic. But, this time I wanted to show the difference between conventional grilling and sous vide when it comes to steak. I started both steak preparations at the same time to show how it works.

I started with a 2+ pound bone in ribeye. Dry brine for 3 hours with French Grey Salt, letting it come to room temp. Wash all salt off and pat completely dry before putting it on the grill it at 350°.

Cook to internal temperature of 120°, removed and let stand for 8 minutes before carving.

You'll notice the grey edges with the perfect just under med-rare center. This is what happens when you use direct heat from the outside to get the center where you want it to be.

Next I prepared an Eye Round Roast (for sliced roast beef sandwichs)

Direct from the refrigerator, I washed and completely dried the roast and seared the outside on my grill.

Then I seasoned the roast with salt and pepper inside the bag before putting it in the tank.

24 hours at 126°, remove from tank. Wash all seasoning off, completely dry and return to the grill to sear one more time.

This is the end result. Perfect edge to edge cooking with no grey edges.

Both came out really good. The ribeye was spectacular with the crust. The roast has a hint of "grill smoke" while being pull-apart tender and perfect when sliced thin for sandwiches.

I've learned all these tips from a good friend who uses these techniques in his restaurant. I've learned, the less I argue with him the better my food is.

I really enjoyed doing this and I hope this helps!

< Message edited by daviladc -- 5/2/2024 8:49:27 AM >

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!
Post #: 1
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 12:39:04 PM   
Blue Shorts

Thanks for doing that. It helps a lot! Damn.....now I have to go out to get a french dip or a ribeye, tonight

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 12:55:58 PM   
Slye

Those both look delicious!

Any reason you chose sous vide for one and not the other? In other words do you find grill better for something like a ribeye?

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 1:09:03 PM   
BRR

Nice post, daviladc! Both look outstanding. I agree that going from raw directly to the grill can lead to that great outer edge (which, as long as it isn't too big, doesn't really bother me). However, I prefer to throw thick steaks into a low temperature oven with a thermometer inserted and bring them slowly up to very rare, pull them out and then sear on a hot grill. I've never done a side-by-side for texture, but it does create a very uniform pink color in the finished product...when I don't mess it up. The main downsides are 1.) time in the oven, and 2.) I always feel I'm "wasting" the coals when all I need is a quick sear (I don't have a gas grill)!

Cheers!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 2:21:10 PM   
S1

I'm not crazy about the texture of SV steak.
Reverse sear for us.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 3:18:31 PM   
grizzlymarmot

Eyeround $5.00/lb, Ribeye $20.00/lb. If you get the right (inexpensive) cut of beef, and you get the time right, you can create steak texture and medium rare flavor. I have not seen the sear before and after the soups vide. I finish the meat on cast iron. We did a leg of lamb at 131f for 12 h this week.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 3:19:28 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Reverse sear for us.

I agree it can get mealy when you leave in it the tank for too long.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 3:21:30 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

Those both look delicious!

Any reason you chose sous vide for one and not the other? In other words do you find grill better for something like a ribeye?

This is just what I had on hand after a Costco shopping run. The ribeye can go either way - SV or grill.

The eye round needs SV. The thicker and leaner it is means SV is the one way to really improve texture and get an even cook.

PS: You can put the rib eye in the SV at 126° for 90 minutes. Grill or skillet for a sear. The advantage to SV is you can season in the bag and not have to dry brine.

I also use the SV when cooking a prime rib. Talk about perfection.

< Message edited by daviladc -- 5/2/2024 7:59:46 PM >

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 3:22:03 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: grizzlymarmot

Eyeround $5.00/lb, Ribeye $20.00/lb. If you get the right (inexpensive) cut of beef, and you get the time right, you can create steak texture and medium rare flavor. I have not seen the sear before and after the soups vide. I finish the meat on cast iron. We did a leg of lamb at 131f for 12 h this week.

EXACTLY!!!!!

(in reply to grizzlymarmot)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 3:22:41 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Nice post, daviladc! Both look outstanding. I agree that going from raw directly to the grill can lead to that great outer edge (which, as long as it isn't too big, doesn't really bother me). However, I prefer to throw thick steaks into a low temperature oven with a thermometer inserted and bring them slowly up to very rare, pull them out and then sear on a hot grill. I've never done a side-by-side for texture, but it does create a very uniform pink color in the finished product...when I don't mess it up. The main downsides are 1.) time in the oven, and 2.) I always feel I'm "wasting" the coals when all I need is a quick sear (I don't have a gas grill)!

That is the one time gas comes in handy!!!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/2/2024 9:53:35 PM   
Eric

24 hours is not necessary to sous vide any steak cut. Most can be done in 60-180 minutes, from frozen. And I am a believer. It works really well!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 2:31:09 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Reverse sear for us.

I agree it can get mealy when you leave in it the tank for too long.

So far, I’m in this camp. Like the “mealy” description!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 12
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 5:05:30 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

24 hours is not necessary to sous vide any steak cut. Most can be done in 60-180 minutes, from frozen. And I am a believer. It works really well!

Eric,

If you mean a singular steak or chop, then I would agree.

But, I would not agree on that little time for a roast.

This is a prime rib cooked at 126° for 6 hours. Notice the fat is still white and not translucent? Even if the meat is "cooked", the connective tissue is still not rendered. This was not a pleasurable experience.

Now we have the same type of prime rib, but now cooked at 126° for 12 hours. Fat is now translucent but the meat has not broken down to be mealy. You could go to 14-16 hours in the tank for a prime rib, but I wouldn't go 24. This is restaurant quality!

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 13
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 7:20:36 AM   
Eric

Ok. Big cuts. Braising cuts. I am with you there.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 14
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 10:13:51 AM   
recotte

I'm also a big fan of SV for thick steaks (2+ inches thick; for thinner I just grill directly), but I only sear once after it comes out of the tub to put a crust on it. Is there a purpose for searing before and after?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 15
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 10:28:24 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I'm also a big fan of SV for thick steaks (2+ inches thick; for thinner I just grill directly), but I only sear once after it comes out of the tub to put a crust on it. Is there a purpose for searing before and after?

It increases the amount of char flavor you get when you sear it before bagging by trapping the essence of the grill. This intensifies the grill flavor at the end product.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 16
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 10:34:51 AM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

It increases the amount of char flavor you get when you sear it before bagging by trapping the essence of the grill. This intensifies the grill flavor at the end product.

Got it. I have two massive Flannery ribeyes sitting in my freezer right now. I'll be trying this.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 17
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/3/2024 10:42:58 AM   
daviladc

quote:

quote:

quote:

Got it. I have two massive Flannery ribeyes sitting in my freezer right now. I'll be trying this.

A few tips I've picked up from my chef buddy:

1. No need to dry brine. Sear from thawed but not room temp.
2. Wash off all salt and pat completely dry.
3. Pan sear: Use avocado oil but only a small amount and use a steak weight to guarantee contact.
Or
3. Grill Sear: Get grill ripping hot and use a steak weight.

I try to turn the steak over once and leave it alone until I put it in the bag.

Season and cook SV as you normally would.

For the second sear, wash the seasoning off the steak and pat completely dry. Follow steps 3 above.

Sorry if this is remedial. These are tips I forgot to put in my original post.

Enjoy!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 18
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/5/2024 10:38:16 AM   
markandsusanw

Big fan of sous vide cooking for certain things. It works on a lot of the same things slow cooking does, since it's essentially the same slow cooking process.

It's also great for leaner cuts, like filet, and delicate things, like soft boiled eggs, fish or lobster. Sous vide lobster with Old Bay, finished quickly (1-2 minutes in pan) in clarified herb butter is a thing of beauty.

Also ideal for cooking for a crowd. You can make a dozen steaks and have them all come out at the same time, perfectly, with sous vide.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 19
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/5/2024 5:50:25 PM   
DrBad

quote:

ORIGINAL: markandsusanw

Big fan of sous vide cooking for certain things. It works on a lot of the same things slow cooking does, since it's essentially the same slow cooking process.

It's also great for leaner cuts, like filet, and delicate things, like soft boiled eggs, fish or lobster. Sous vide lobster with Old Bay, finished quickly (1-2 minutes in pan) in clarified herb butter is a thing of beauty.

Also ideal for cooking for a crowd. You can make a dozen steaks and have them all come out at the same time, perfectly, with sous vide.

I agree. Smoking gives similar results but gives a nice flavorful crust. Reverse sear can be nice but with thicker cuts gets tricky. We like to sous vide on the rare side then get a good sear. Can do the same thing by smoking at 200-225F.

(in reply to markandsusanw)
Post #: 20
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 9:45:06 AM   
daviladc

Did someone say soft boiled eggs? Sous Vide? 146° for 54 minutes and you get this beautiful thing with a custard like yolk. So good!

(in reply to DrBad)
Post #: 21
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 1:33:06 PM   
River Rat

A big part of grilling is how you attack the heat. I prepped this steak similarly but cooked it to 105° indirectly at about 375°. I then pulled it and rested it for 10 minutes. Then went back on the hot side of the grill to sear. Visually it turns out like your sous vide roast but with tremendous flavor.

The only part of sous vide I don’t care for is how it changes the texture of the meat. Personal gripe.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 22
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 2:41:01 PM   
Jenise

I appreciate your effort and sharing, but you're mixing apples and oranges here with the difference in cuts and before-after methods.

Btw, re color edge to edge? Take your eye of round, or a similar size chunk of tenderloin, and brown it all over on the grill, then set aside and let cool. Then roast it in a conventional oven to your desired interior doneness--your result will be the perfect rare edge to edge. That's not a magic trick exclusive to SVing.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 23
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 4:15:34 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

I appreciate your effort and sharing, but you're mixing apples and oranges here with the difference in cuts and before-after methods.

Btw, re color edge to edge? Take your eye of round, or a similar size chunk of tenderloin, and brown it all over on the grill, then set aside and let cool. Then roast it in a conventional oven to your desired interior doneness--your result will be the perfect rare edge to edge. That's not a magic trick exclusive to SVing.

The advantage to SV isn't the color, it's the rendering of the connective tissue that can't be done in the oven with an eye round.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 24
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 4:26:40 PM   
Jenise

quote:

The advantage to SV isn't the color, it's the rendering of the connective tissue that can't be done in the oven with an eye round.

I understand, I cook sous vide myself. But that's not what you raved about in the caption on your picture so I am pointing out that this result is achievable without sous vide.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 25
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 7:58:34 PM   
daviladc

Ok, if specificity is the issue, this is the value of SV. This is 72 hour (in the tank) wagyu short rib looks like. I guarantee you can't get this on the grill. BTW, it was amazing!

< Message edited by daviladc -- 5/7/2024 4:21:54 AM >

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 26
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/6/2024 8:11:44 PM   
River Rat

quote:

Ok, if specificity is the issue, this is the value of SV. This is 72 hour (in the tank) wagyu short rib looks like. I guarantee you can't get this on the grill. BTW, it was amazing!

PS: it's all qbout

That short rib looks questionable.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 27
RE: NWR: Sous Vide v Grill - 5/7/2024 3:52:13 AM   
eyewino

quote:

PS: it's all qbout

The image did not come through for me, either...

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Sous Vide v Grill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI