CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/14/2024 10:46:51 AM   
jmc167

Hey All -

My brother and I are working on developing a web-based Cellar Map application which will provide some of the functionality of Andrew's Excel Spreadsheet and Al's WineGPS App.

The first objective of the app will be focused on allowing you to define and save Bin capacity so you can easily see where you have space in your bins or maybe typo'd a bin location and have more bottles in the location than it holds. After we have this down, we will be working on a graphic interface for wine query and selection that allows you to find the wine and put in on a separate list which will work for moving bottles from one location to another, pulling for a dinner party, etc.

I wanted to make something that works on every device regardless of OS, was easy to set up, use, and make changes to, and fast. As we begin work on this, I was hoping I could get some feedback from the community as follows:

1) Do you "embed" the Row and Column in the Bin Field contents and if so, how do you do this? For example 14A in my bin field means column 14 and row A, but I would love to know what others are doing to help us ensure we take the right approach as we get started on this.

2) Please let me know if you would be interested in testing the app once ready for testing.

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!
Post #: 1
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/15/2024 1:30:04 AM   
thomasjacques

Most of my bins are labelled eg "E3" (column E, row 3), which works reasonably well with cellartracker.
I am not sure I would use the capacity management feature you are envisioning, because my "12-bottle bins" can actually fit anywhere from 9 (heaviest Burgundy or Rhone) to 15 (German) bottles. Not even accounting for magnums, half-bottles and some unusual form factors.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 2
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/15/2024 5:20:48 PM   
jmc167

Thomas - Thanks so much for the update, much appreciated!

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to thomasjacques)
Post #: 3
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/22/2024 10:25:58 AM   
pbilling

I use a rack/row/position sequence. Rack 01, Shelf A, Position 01, results in 01A01. Just looking at the number tells you exactly where the bottle is. It is critical that you think out your 'Worst Case Scenario" as CellarTracker treats and sorts the Bin Field as alphanumeric data, zero padding is critical. I used letters for the shelf as I could not envision have more than 26 shelves in a wine rack. I used a Code 128 barcode when I made my bin labels so I could scan the location as I do my put away and inventory.

I put away mixed cases one case at a time on a computer in my cellar. I do the initial entry from the packing list, then I slot the bottles into the rack in the first available locations starting from 01A01. I leave the bottle halfway out so I can identify the new bottles, then print the labels, then label the bottles and push them all the way in. Cellartracker prints the labels in Bin order so you just go back to the first bottle and start labeling and push each one home.

This works for me as I came from a warehouse background and can deal with random bin locations. I know many, many Cellartracker users prefer storing by region or type or color.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing your solution. I've managed to make Cellartracker work for me but knowing my available bins would make life a little easier.

If you need a beta tester keep me in mind.

Good Luck

Paul Billingslea

The secret to enjoying a good wine.
1. Open the bottle and allow to breathe
2. If it doesn't look like it's breathing, give it mouth to mouth.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 4
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/27/2024 10:47:26 AM   
jmc167

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbilling
I use a rack/row/position sequence. Rack 01, Shelf A, Position 01, results in 01A01. Just looking at the number tells you exactly where the bottle is. It is critical that you think out your 'Worst Case Scenario" as CellarTracker treats and sorts the Bin Field as alphanumeric data, zero padding is critical.

Paul - thanks so much, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and will definitely have you test. As to the padding, yep, I learned that the hard way and had to completely renumber my bins initially due to NOT being aware of how CT treated and sorted bins.

Can you tell me more about the position feature you are using? Is this the way you are using to track bottles in a horizontal bin, similar to a front/back designation?

I have two bottle horizontal bins now and do not use this "third" dimension for lack of a better word, but want to understand if you also use this dimension in a diamond bin where you may have 6 to 12 bottles?

Also, if you have OWCs, do you track these as a single bin in Cellar Tracker?

Thanks!

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 5
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/27/2024 11:48:07 AM   
pbilling

JMC

Position is just the horizontal 'hole' in the rack.

A front/back designator could be easily done by just adding another designator at the end of the bin location, A/B, F/B even Front/Back it's all just a function of an ASCII sort so it should work. 02G03A, 02G03F, 02G03Front.

I do have some bin locations for whole cases of daily drinkers and the like. I just treat them like a regular location, CellarTracker doesn't care how many bottles go in a location. It let's you choose during the put away process if you want to assign individual bin locations to each bottle or all in one bin for each wine.

I don't have OWC's but tracking them could be done as well, it's just a function of logical physical organization. Unfortunately, space is always at a premium in wine cellars and anything 'odd sized' is going to be hard to organize.

I have attached a link to some pictures that might help you visualize this better, let me know if you can see them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZKD6yuYnuKjVn8ZA

Paul B

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 6
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/27/2024 3:26:54 PM   
jmc167

Paul -

Thanks so much - the pics were super helpful.

My final question (I think ) is the confirm that the rack number in your scenario only exists in the Bin field in Cellar Tracker and is not used in the Location field in Cellar Tracker, correct? So in Location "X" you could have many racks, but the specific rack is only defined in the bin field - correct?

Again this is super helpful as in my cellar (it's at a wine storage locker - see links to a few picks below) I do not use the concept of a rack, but rather just columns and rows. The columns are a sequential number throughout the location, so there is no need for rack number.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0YGRMtznGHA22B

Thanks!

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 7
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 1/28/2024 5:21:47 AM   
pbilling

JMC

Correct, I only use Bin as I only keep wine in one physical location.

I believe the Bin field is very large, so you could create A LOT of bins.

The more finely you define your racking in your cellar, the more Bins you can create. As an example, it appears you define your cellar as everything in one rack but your racks are built in 3 column units, if you added a Rack identifier you could have up 99 racks with 26 columns 99 levels each with a front and back identifier.

I use the number, letter, number sequence because I found over the years of setting up large warehouses it made it much easier for the workers visualize the location.

The strength of the CellarTracker Bin is it's flexibility, but to be really useful you must be disciplined in creating your Bins.

Paul B

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 8
RE: Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request - 2/1/2024 6:50:44 PM   
jmc167

Paul -

Thanks for the reply and yep, totally understand your numbering system, I implemented Bar Code Warehouse Management Systems back in the late 80's and early 90's and this is a very familiar schema to me.

So glad we got to chat to help design the app!

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> Web Based Cellar Map Feedback Request Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI