CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 4/13/2020 10:42:58 AM   
raysclafani

Hi Andrew! Hope you had a good birthday on 4/9. I loved the visual layout you created. Does this sync up with cellar tracker?

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 61
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 5/7/2020 9:01:33 PM   
AussieAlan

Hi Eric.

Only just joined Forum but it would appear a graphical interface for Cellar Tracker that at least showed 'Bins' graphically and which slots were empty would be really useful.
Are there plans and a timeframe to have this happen?

Is there somewhere on the Site that might show future release features?

Thank you.
:-)

(in reply to raysclafani)
Post #: 62
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 5/7/2020 9:19:39 PM   
Eric

There are no immediate plans, although we know at a minimum that a number of people want the ability to pre-define cellar locations and bins, capacities and to be able to query empties.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to AussieAlan)
Post #: 63
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 5/7/2020 9:44:29 PM   
AussieAlan

Thanks Eric.

Yes. Just that functionality as a minimum without a full graphical interface would get me out of trouble for now.

Like a number of people I guess, I have permanent Bin locations (in my case 12 slots per bin) but I can't see which ones are empty. When I get new wines I need to do a query report and slowly go through to see where there's empty slots to put my new wine.

Is it as simple as when a wine is consumed the wine is removed but the bin location ID remains and therefore is shown as empty? Then a query could be done for all empty slots? This may even be a quicker and easier enhancement in the interim than requiring any graphical interface?

Cheers
Alan

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 64
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 5/8/2020 8:03:10 PM   
AussieAlan

Ok. Thanks Eric. Sounds like you're aware of the issue.

Cheers
Alan

(in reply to AussieAlan)
Post #: 65
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 8/9/2020 6:43:12 PM   
istrebulaev@stanford

Does anybody have the CellarMap spreadsheet to share? Thanks!

(in reply to AussieAlan)
Post #: 66
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 8/9/2020 10:46:30 PM   
jmc167

quote:

istrebulaev@stanford

To the best of my knowledge, there is no standard spreadsheet, since everyone defines their bins differently and Andrew has to understand your Bin layout before he can build the spreadsheet.

Andrew has not been seen for a while, I think he is slammed at work and does not have the time to spend on this project lately.

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to istrebulaev@stanford)
Post #: 67
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 9/6/2020 5:27:10 AM   
maierg

Sent Andrew a DM - hope to get my hands on a version - happy to tweak it myself if needed.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 68
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 10/13/2020 2:08:55 PM   
KeyMaster

Anybody with the link or file, please kindly share the spreadsheet.

I'm very proficient with Excel, VBA, formulas and all and I can tweak it myself for my cellar organization. But please, somebody needs to make this public to allow others to copy it.

@Eric, you should really consider adding this as a standard feature for CellarTracker.

Thanks
Guy LaRochelle

(in reply to maierg)
Post #: 69
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/15/2020 8:25:02 AM   
Gdr

Yes it would be great if someone could share the link for this film,
Thanks

(in reply to KeyMaster)
Post #: 70
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/15/2020 2:43:52 PM   
jmc167

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeyMaster

Anybody with the link or file, please kindly share the spreadsheet.

Guy - did you ever get the spreadsheet? I tried to PM mine to you, but it seems you may not allow PM's?

Anyway, reach out and I can send you mine, it is an early version, but you can get the idea.

Thanks.

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to KeyMaster)
Post #: 71
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/30/2020 2:12:51 PM   
MikeWB

JMC would love a copy of yours also, also a techie who should be able to change the fields easily for my format.

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 72
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 12/3/2020 11:51:07 AM   
pinskycellar

Hi -

I have the spreadsheet but it's locked so you can't make changes without having the password as far as I can tell. In talking with Andrew earlier this year, he said he has been too busy to do any updates or create new personalized versions for new users. He would likely welcome someone with good VBA skills that could do updates and customizations. He indicated to me that the spreadsheet makes heavy use of VBA Arrays.

My previously working version of the spreadsheet is now having issues. Likely changes in Excel that need to be addressed in the VBA code. If you PM me your email address, I can forward it on to Andrew and see if he is interested in your assistance.

Thanks!

(in reply to KeyMaster)
Post #: 73
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 1/5/2021 8:11:14 AM   
brouigu1

This is a great feature and would compliment an already fantastic cellar management system (CT of course)

I have two locations (Le Cache cabinets) where I store my wine. Each cabinet has double depth at each bin. When I add wine to my cellars I have to take a manual inventory to know "which exact" locations have empty slots to fill and this would save me tons-o-time.

I am also in a wheelchair and have found as I get older doing these manual inventories quite often are getting more cumbersome Oh the joy of age!

(in reply to raysclafani)
Post #: 74
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 5/17/2021 1:01:16 PM   
ewhite

I would love a copy of this spreadsheet if someone could forward it

(in reply to brouigu1)
Post #: 75
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 8/31/2021 11:16:54 AM   
cigar52

Andrew... I just came upon the experimental dashboard. Love it... what version of your software is this? Is it downloadable?

Thanks,

Murray

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 76
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 10/23/2021 7:10:59 PM   
pcartland

Hi Andrew, you created a spreadsheet for me several years ago. I'd really like to update it with your more recent enhancements. What do you need from me.

Thanks
Paul

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 77
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 1/2/2022 5:30:29 PM   
mclancy10006

@Eric and team.

Functionality like this would be a great addition to Cellartracker.

Mark

(in reply to pcartland)
Post #: 78
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 1/2/2022 6:17:20 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

@Eric and team.

Functionality like this would be a great addition to Cellartracker.

Mark

We know.

And as we have said many times, it is a really large, challenging, architectural feature. And we hope to add it someday.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 79
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/3/2022 4:08:39 PM   
jchrisharris

This is really cool. How can I access it? Really appreciate the work done and the willingness to share it!

Also, this visual map is (to me) the most glaringly obvious missing thing in an otherwise amazing CellarTracker product. In fact, every other solution I've seen, most of which are inferior to cellartracker, have this feature. I'm sure there's a lot of dev to be done, but this has been "on the list' for more than a decade.

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 80
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 12/23/2022 6:03:32 PM   
anevard

I just wanted to say hi and happy Holidays to everyone.

I am happy in a new job, back in the world of film and television postproduction. I wish I had time to update this project, but I haven't even had a chance to look at the code in a few years.

The issue always was the amount of time it took to personalize the spreadsheet for everyone's individual cellar. Also at this point in time some of the work is a bit outdated, either by new additions to Excel Power Query or my skillset that has changed since the project was started.

I am always open to working with someone to revitalize and develop this so everyone can benefit from it. CellarTracker is an amazing site and I use my front end with it almost everyday (obviously I am drinking too much wine!)

I am always around and hope I have the time in the future to contribute again to this wonderful community.

Cheers,

Andrew

(in reply to jchrisharris)
Post #: 81
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 12/23/2022 8:29:35 PM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: anevard

I just wanted to say hi and happy Holidays to everyone.

I am happy in a new job, back in the world of film and television postproduction. I wish I had time to update this project, but I haven't even had a chance to look at the code in a few years.

The issue always was the amount of time it took to personalize the spreadsheet for everyone's individual cellar. Also at this point in time some of the work is a bit outdated, either by new additions to Excel Power Query or my skillset that has changed since the project was started.

I am always open to working with someone to revitalize and develop this so everyone can benefit from it. CellarTracker is an amazing site and I use my front end with it almost everyday (obviously I am drinking too much wine!)

I am always around and hope I have the time in the future to contribute again to this wonderful community.

Cheers,

Wonderful to hear from you!

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 82
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 12/29/2022 8:39:44 PM   
KeyMaster

Please send me a private message. I know Excel very well and I am an old developer of Cellar! The Ultimate Wine Companion which was sold to Eric several years ago. I am still very interested in getting a visual representation of a cellar. Iā€™d like to see what I can do.

Guy

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 83
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 1/26/2023 8:28:37 AM   
Whypie

Hi
Is it still possible to get this spreadsheet ?
Thanks

(in reply to KeyMaster)
Post #: 84
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/4/2023 7:43:03 AM   
anevard

Well I guess it's time for an update.

Over the past few weeks I have spent some of my spare time modernizing and cleaning up some of the methodology behind the CellarMap Excel app. There are some good things and some not so good things that are a result of the changes I have been making.

First to the significant changes. I am now using power query in the background to simplify the code required to implement some of the functionality. This will also simplify future additions to the app such as adding HeatMaps or any other form of analysis of our cellars. The downside is that now a data pull update from CellarTracker takes a bit longer.

Another important change I have made is a complete reworking of the visual mapping methodology. I have implemented a completely new way of constructing the cellar visual map tabs. It is a bit more rudimentary than the original version BUT it will allow individual users to setup their own maps, rather than me having to do it. The issue is that it is still a bit of an arduous process, that is really only in an experimental phase, but I do think it is something that could be built on. I also have not really had any time to come up with a way explain the method to people so that they can do this on their own at this point.

I have added some new filtering functionality that I think is pretty cool. I have also made each filter better reflect upon the dashboard visual charts. The downside is that, due to some inefficiencies in Excel (and probably a bit of my non professional programming skillset) some of these filters take quite a few seconds to process.

It is important to understand that I am developing this only in the few minutes per week that I have free and when I am in the mood to chill in front of my computer after a long week of work. I am using the latest version of Excel 365 on a fairly powerful windows PC. It works fairly well, but I am sure it has numerous bugs at this point in its evolution. As well I am pretty sure it will have issues on other platforms and with other versions of Excel. Unfortunately I just don't have the time or skillset to try and make it work other than with the technology that I use everyday. I am not a professional programmer in any way, just a hobbyist. I hope you all understand.

It really isn't ready for prime time at this point. I will keep trying to get it to a point where I can share it with the community, but I just wanted to let everyone that has expressed interest, know that hopefully sometime in the near future, it may be a tool you can use to help you keep on drinking good wine.

Also, I am not doing this for any form of financial gain. I do it for the moments of meditation burying my mind in programming Excel and contemplating a good glass of wine.

Cheers,

Andrew

(in reply to Whypie)
Post #: 85
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/4/2023 10:32:40 AM   
anevard

Some images:

EDIT: I tried to resize these but nothing seems to work on the message board

< Message edited by anevard -- 2/4/2023 11:29:20 AM >

Andrew

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 86
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/5/2023 8:47:28 PM   
AlexGarner

Hi Andrew,

Once you have something alpha stage that has the features to allow another person to setup their own cellar, I'll volunteer to test it for you.

I'm what I would consider an advanced Excel user, except I have no familiarity with VB or any programming in Excel, so that might make for a good first use case - in that I will know enough to provide you with good feedback, but not enough to assume knowledge on behalf of a regular Excel user.

Cheers

Alex

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 87
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/10/2023 10:41:53 AM   
pinskycellar

Fantastic that you've been working on modernizing the spreadsheet. I used the current version just yesterday to help find space in my cellar for new wine :-) I'll be happy to help test the new version once it's ready.

Thanks!

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 88
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/17/2023 4:37:04 PM   
anevard

I might be able to get a messy beta version out this weekend if one or two people want to try it. It will require a lot of explaining on how to set things up and may be fraught with issues. All I ask is that whoever wants to try, is willing to be take the time to have some conversations on how to get this working and help in writing up instructions for other users. Patience will be required. šŸ˜€

Andrew

(in reply to pinskycellar)
Post #: 89
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/19/2023 10:51:48 AM   
anevard

So here is how it works now.

As can be seen in the images a few posts above, there is a list that you populate with every bin you have, the max number of bottles per bin and the location on a bin tab that you push a button to create. The bin tab is then automatically populated with the bins based on the bins list sheet. You can then finalize the bin tab by merging cells if they look better and adding legends etc. You can create as many bin tabs as you wish, depending on your cellar layout or locations. The only important requirement is that a location, bin tab and bin name need to be unique.

That's the simplified description. Works well for me so far.

As for the dashboard, there is a bit more functionality than what is described in previous posts, but it pretty much looks the same.

Andrew

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI