CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Moratorium - 1/13/2023 7:38:58 PM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

quote:

So it turns out sastewart was right about me not making 3 months but I made it 39 days which included the Holidays so a pretty good 1st attempt. The 2014 Feytit Clinet at $59 turned out just too good to pass up. I’m not taking delivery until April but doubt that’s a loophole.
We are headed to Oaxaca Coast Monday so I’m entering again tomorrow.

Fingers…great job on Hotel California

39 days is longer than I have gone...probably ever. So congrats!
Having said that I knew there was no chance you could make it 3 months!

LOL. Deep down I knew I wouldn’t make three months either. I miss my wine at home. Oaxaca Coast is great but it is not a wine place.

We are leaving for Costa Rica tomorrow. I doubt we will drink much wine down there either.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5521
RE: The Moratorium - 1/22/2023 1:19:23 PM   
WineGuyCO

Trust me…There will be no good red wine in CR. Just don’t stay down there too long.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5522
RE: The Moratorium - 1/23/2023 10:30:05 AM   
sastewart

quote:

Trust me…There will be no good red wine in CR. Just don’t stay down there too long.

We’ve had a few moderately priced bottles of red and white, mostly from South America. Plenty of good drinks though!
I managed to increase pending by 14 bottles since I’ve been here due to a few auction bottles and a couple of email deals I couldn’t resist. My wife thinks I’m hopeless!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5523
RE: The Moratorium - 1/23/2023 1:35:01 PM   
Ibetian

I’m out. Still going strong in Dry January for consumption, but picked up some burgundy today.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5524
RE: The Moratorium - 1/23/2023 5:13:43 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

quote:

We’ve had a few moderately priced bottles of red and white, mostly from South America. Plenty of good drinks though!
I managed to increase pending by 14 bottles since I’ve been here due to a few auction bottles and a couple of email deals I couldn’t resist. My wife thinks I’m hopeless!

LMAO we’ve had a couple mediocre Argentina Malbec’s. Certainly nothing memorable. Another reason why I like traveling in Europe but there are no warm places in Europe January & February. We are happy to be warm and out of cold and snow. Having no great wine is a small price to pay.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5525
RE: The Moratorium - 1/23/2023 8:18:19 PM   
sastewart

quote:

quote:

quote:

LMAO we’ve had a couple mediocre Argentina Malbec’s. Certainly nothing memorable. Another reason why I like traveling in Europe but there are no warm places in Europe January & February. We are happy to be warm and out of cold and snow. Having no great wine is a small price to pay.

Agreed. No memorable wines here but a great time.
Thanks to the internet, while I was down here I was able to snag some 2009 and 2010 Vieux Donjon and some 2016 and 2017 Forman Cabernet at what I think are very good prices!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5526
RE: The Moratorium - 1/23/2023 8:22:48 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rick you should be doing only tequila, mezcal, and beer in Oaxaca ! Argentinian malbecs ??? Would guess from Costco at $300 pesos ! And then Americans blame our water for their gastrointestinal problems . Drink tequila, it will fix everything inside you and it´s been proven to make you look 10 years younger ! Go for the blanco, don´t go for añejos.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5527
RE: The Moratorium - 1/24/2023 10:13:04 AM   
WineGuyCO

Eduardo…need to try Mezcal. I haven’t yet. I found some Johnny Walker Red Label for 330 pesos. Not an Añejo fan. Too much Oak. If I drink tequila it’s blanco’s. Malbec is not a huge favorite but have only seen Argentina wines here. 400 pesos off a restaurant wine list. It served its purpose with a nice Argentine Filet Mignon con Champiñones. Saludos Amigos !!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 5528
RE: The Moratorium - 1/24/2023 1:59:18 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

We are leaving for Costa Rica tomorrow. I doubt we will drink much wine down there either.

Did we cross paths down there?

We were in Dominical from 3-19 January. No red wine was consumed during this period.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5529
RE: The Moratorium - 1/24/2023 8:00:27 PM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

Did we cross paths down there?

We were in Dominical from 3-19 January. No red wine was consumed during this period.

Still down here for a couple of more days. This time we visited Playa Flamingo, Monteverde and now back to Manuel Antonio (arrived on the 21st so just missed you) after 19 years. Great country, great time! Roads are better than I remember…except the leg from Playa Flamingo to Monteverde. We had a flooded road I wasn’t willing to gamble on and then the trip up the mountainside to Monteverde from the north was crazy and made the trip down 606 seem like a breeze. Drank some whites and a Malbec or two in Monteverde with Argentinian Beef but had plenty of boat drinks. Glad you trip went well also! Cheers, Scott

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 5530
RE: The Moratorium - 3/22/2023 1:53:16 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

It's been quiet and lonely in here. So far I've served 4 months of my self imposed 12 month sentence. Never been this far before but at least the shakes and cold sweats have abated a bit. Maybe I should go and buy a bottle to celebrate?

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5531
RE: The Moratorium - 3/28/2023 6:04:56 PM   
skifree

Almost 3 weeks now for my latest stay in this hotel.

I am always impressed by folks who measure their stay here in months.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 5532
RE: The Moratorium - 3/28/2023 9:50:27 PM   
jmcmchi

Days work for me

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 5533
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 12:02:48 AM   
Ibetian

Hours.

Maybe minutes…

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 5534
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 6:29:21 AM   
KPB

I may be losing my mind, but the moratorium is strangely appealing to me right now. I had a sabbatical and mostly stopped buying wines for that whole year. My next sabbatical starts in a few weeks.

So I have a question to all of you moratorium types. Does the moratorium only apply to wines for extended cellaring (those are the ones I think I may stop buying), or to all bottles you don't already own? For me that wouldn't be practical -- I often "have" to buy wines when we are out of town for family visits and things like that.

And do those of you who stuck with it and are watching the cellar slowly thin out -- was this a good decision, or ambiguous, or do you regret it?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 5535
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 6:37:25 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I may be losing my mind, but the moratorium is strangely appealing to me right now. I had a sabbatical and mostly stopped buying wines for that whole year. My next sabbatical starts in a few weeks.

So I have a question to all of you moratorium types. Does the moratorium only apply to wines for extended cellaring (those are the ones I think I may stop buying), or to all bottles you don't already own? For me that wouldn't be practical -- I often "have" to buy wines when we are out of town for family visits and things like that.

And do those of you who stuck with it and are watching the cellar slowly thin out -- was this a good decision, or ambiguous, or do you regret it?

Ken, I think it depends on your moratorium goals.

Most of us here follow clear rules and have designated goals to achieve 100% success. Many here also have Power Point plans with properly structured timelines and methods and even a results section to help us learn for future stays in the moratorium.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5536
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 7:23:50 AM   
wineismylife

Historically you were allowed an exemption for wines purchased from a wine list for consumption with dinner. Those were the draconian rules. This is when I did my almost 9 month moratorium effectively buying nothing for 9 months.

Shortly after the above it was declared if you were on a heavily allocated list and would be cut if you didn't purchase you were allowed a waiver. Many have taken advantage of this level since implemented.

After that, I quit. Everybody and their dog sought exemptions for this, that, the other thing.

< Message edited by wineismylife -- 3/29/2023 7:25:01 AM >

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5537
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 8:31:06 AM   
KPB

I guess that where I'm coming from is this: I'm not so young, and I do have a fair amount of wine in the cellar. I'm mostly the only one opening these bottles, and they mostly last three days. Then we have some bursts of higher consumption during holidays but even so, it just isn't clear I need more wine.

Even the highly allocated wines argument is beginning to wear thin. I like Rob Greer and Ketan Mody -- so I'll probably continue to buy bottles from Greer and Beta. I probably would always want some Pegau handy. But it would be very easy to just drop from all the other lists. Sure, I won't be able to get insider access to VHR and maybe I'll regret dropping from their list. But on the other hand, what good does it do to leave a pile of unopened wood cases to a family that drinks wine much less often? Seems wasteful.

Ken Birman

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 5538
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 9:03:14 AM   
wineismylife

Nothing all of us haven't thought about and discussed before. Especially us older forum members. IMHO that is separate from The Moratorium.

In the end, buy what you want, when you want has always been my motto in this "hobby". I too am at the point where I'm buying less and less. Now when these great offers come across my inbox for 20-30+ year aging wines from Bordeaux, Port, etc... I instantly think these days "uh, will you be around to drink it?". So I pass and pass a lot these days.

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand and throw it out there. My line? Sine Qua Non. I buy every single bottle. I get allocated cases per release. Annually I was spending more on SQN that I was on my mortgage before I paid it off. Finally I declared an edict. "When I retire at 65 or Manfred retires, whichever comes first, I'm officially out and not buying another single bottle". Soon it's time to live up to my word.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5539
RE: The Moratorium - 3/29/2023 8:29:03 PM   
jonboy74

I view the moratorium as a place to come state your goal (however you want to define it) to reduce purchases and by writing it down, you have a higher chance of sticking with it. I have too much wine and have only started collecting 3 years ago. I need to dramatically slow my buying. I won't stop entirely, there are some I want to keep buying and I'm ok with that. But I find strength in reading this thread to resist things like buying a case of laherte freres champagne when I finish drinking a bottle and love it (aka moments of weakness).

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 5540
RE: The Moratorium - 3/30/2023 4:49:13 AM   
KPB

Makes sense. Of course, big picture, we all are “enablers” on this board. But I like the concept.

Ken Birman

(in reply to jonboy74)
Post #: 5541
RE: The Moratorium - 4/4/2023 5:48:15 PM   
dad300

the only reason im here is because we will be moving 1200 miles by the end of the summer.. (hopefully) sitting at 200 bottles right now.. would like to be under 150, by the time we move..less if possible.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 5542
RE: The Moratorium - 4/4/2023 6:37:43 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

Almost 3 weeks now for my latest stay in this hotel.

I am always impressed by folks who measure their stay here in months.

quote:

Days work for me

Yup, 3 days later and I checked out.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 5543
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 5:10:14 AM   
daviladc

I made it almost a month, until last night.

Today is day 1 again.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 5544
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 6:23:05 AM   
khmark7

I have another club shipment arriving here soon, so that will sabotage my moratorium for the month. Trying to keep purchases down to the minimum this year again.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 5545
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 6:28:51 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

I have another club shipment arriving here soon, so that will sabotage my moratorium for the month. Trying to keep purchases down to the minimum this year again.

If I remember correctly, scheduled club shipments (including allocations) are exempted purchases and do not count against your stay in the Moratorium.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5546
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 12:03:22 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

If I remember correctly, scheduled club shipments (including allocations) are exempted purchases and do not count against your stay in the Moratorium.

I follow an older more regressive version of the moratorium. Most people here follow the new more modern version. The rules have been reinterpreted and rewritten over the ages but my beliefs are very much in the old version. I suspect these debates will last until one true doctrine will decide for us all...

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 5547
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 12:21:06 PM   
recotte

To clarify, the mailing list exemption only applies to allocations that you must purchase or lose your place on the mailing list. Purchases above the minimum, wish lists, or other non-mandatory club purchases are discretionary, not exempt, and moratorium busters. Pretty sure this was the original guideline of the original moratorium "contest" back in 2010/11.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5548
RE: The Moratorium - 4/5/2023 1:38:19 PM   
jmcmchi

We now have a modern version of Gulliver’s Big Endians vs Little Endians…..

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5549
RE: The Moratorium - 4/25/2023 7:14:11 PM   
eyewino

I am now 2+ months in. My last purchase was March 13th. I am trying very hard to drink down my current inventory.

And now I have probably jinxed myself by making my "success" (for me, anyway) public...

My wife and I are flying to San Francisco tomorrow with some good friends for a week of sightseeing and probably a few winery visits. I need to stay strong. I'll check back in here if I am able to resist temptation. If I succumb to the obvious, well...never mind.

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 5550
Page:   <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  183 184 [185] 186 187   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI