CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Fed Ex woes--what would you do?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Fed Ex woes--what would you do? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/3/2023 5:39:29 PM   
Jenise

So someone shipped me a case of bubbly. It left the Napa area as planned on Monday morning, due here in Washington state for delivery on Wednesday. It arrived at the Burlington station about 4 a.m. and loaded onto a truck with the updated status showing "out for delivery" when I checked it around 9 a.m. A little after 3 p.m. I received a message "pkg not delivered due to operational difficulty" and was advised that it would be delivered today instead. I had paid an extra $4 for ice packs to travel with it.

When I re-checked the status at that time, it was clear it had never left Burlington. Which means it sat all day locked up in a hot truck in a hot parking lot on an 85F day with all the toys and garden tools going nowhere. I contacted the shipper and advised them that I would refuse the shipment on the basis of it being heat damaged.

They wrote back and said no problem, the wine would have been in protected storage. No way I wrote back, they don't even know it's wine let alone have a refrigerator to store it in, "the ice packs you put in it would have been toast before lunch." Adding, that it would have been 120-130 inside that truck, "hot enough to kill a baby or a dog--no way it didn't kill my wine." They wrote back that they could file a claim with FedEx BUT I would have to prove it was damaged.

Which of course only refers to damage you can see, not the damage you can't. They'll take it back but I'll have to pay for the return shipping. That ain't fair. And of course delivery was attempted today but no way could I be here.

Other than never buy anything from these toads again, what would you do? Should I accept the shipment and deliberately inflict harm for a claim against FedEx (and I get a full refund?) Not entirely ethical but this is war.

What would you do?
Post #: 1
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/3/2023 6:13:06 PM   
WineGuyCO

It doesn’t mean it sat inside a truck all day at 85 degrees. Most likely it was inside a FedEx Facility that was much cooler. I’d ask FedEx for the answer.

Also, ANY good retailer worth anything can file a claim against FedEx and get paid. They do NOT have to show any kind of physical damage. That’s ridiculous.

If FedEx can’t give you an answer as to why the wine wasn’t delivered on time I pay the shipping and send it back and never buy from this retailer if they can’t file a claim for you. Tell them you’re going to lambast them on CT too

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 2
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/3/2023 9:05:37 PM   
wine247365

What would you do?
[/quote]
Ice packs or not, for most West Coast shipping, to be super safe never ship wines from June to late October (or Dec into March).

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 3
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/3/2023 9:27:37 PM   
DoubleD1969

^ That

I think the recourse may depend on who decided to ship.

How do Champers make it across the pond anyway? I can’t imagine the temps are in the lows the entire journey.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 4
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 2:48:30 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

How do Champers make it across the pond anyway? I can’t imagine the temps are in the lows the entire journey.

Temperature controlled storage has been standard for wine shipment from Europe for decades.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 7:08:30 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO
It doesn’t mean it sat inside a truck all day at 85 degrees. Most likely it was inside a FedEx Facility that was much cooler. I’d ask FedEx for the answer.

Firstly, this happened once before when a shipment got stuck at the Burlington station. In that case, the truck broke down and driver couldn't leave the station. Another driver couldn't leave the station so the truck sat out in the sun, and so I refused that shipment.

Secondly, there's no one at FedEx to talk to. There's a complaint line staffed by people who don't know any more than you do--they're able to put tracers on missing shipments but they can't offer any help other than that.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 6
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 7:09:21 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

What would you do?

Ice packs or not, for most West Coast shipping, to be super safe never ship wines from June to late October (or Dec into March).

In general I follow that rule. Made an exception for a particularly good deal this time--and ice packs.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 7
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 7:17:55 AM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep
quote:

Temperature controlled storage has been standard for wine shipment from Europe for decades.

Really? Including Beaujolais Noveaux, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio, Cava and other mass-produced wines?

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 8
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 8:29:56 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Secondly, there's no one at FedEx to talk to. There's a complaint line staffed by people who don't know any more than you do--they're able to put tracers on missing shipments but they can't offer any help other than that.

This is the real issue….for all the shipping companies it appears to be caveat emptor - although I do know of an Australian company that (sofar) has been excellent

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 9
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 8:44:13 AM   
Jenise

John, in my area, anymore there is almost no such thing as a trouble-free delivery from FedEx. UPS is MUCH more reliable.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 10
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 10:11:01 AM   
KPB

The only thing I do that you didn't is to redirect everything to a local Fedex print-and-ship location that has in-store A/C for the employees to not roast during the summer. So no, the storage isn't special there, but at least the wine isn't cooking. And FedEx ground kind of likes to unload a lot of stuff at once so they tend to be the first stop -- first the big FedEx warehouse (for me, in Horseheads) and then early in the morning or late evening, directly onto those storage shelves, and then I can pick it up.

I do this with UPS too, but for that I pay $29 per year for this "UPS MyChoice" option. FedEx lets me divert for free. On the other hand, the UPS store doesn't have an equally good A/C.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 11
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 10:14:10 AM   
KPB

PS: On your question from the OP, I have only had a case of wine cook that way once, and it was a sad story of a mislabeling by Zachy's in Westchester. The wine came to Ithaca, rode in the truck for a day or so, then went back to Zachy's. They then sent me "different bottles". But I always suspected that the wine I got was the cooked stuff.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 12
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 11:17:43 AM   
lockestep

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep
quote:

Really? Including Beaujolais Noveaux, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio, Cava and other mass-produced wines?

Champers Nouveau?
Responding to your statement, not a question about bulk wines.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 13
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 11:40:27 AM   
Old Doug

quote:

John, in my area, anymore there is almost no such thing as a trouble-free delivery from FedEx. UPS is MUCH more reliable.

While acknowledging that our experiences will necessarily be somewhat subjective, the past year has been earth-shaking for me. I always considered FedEx to be the 'gold standard,' but Holy Crow it does seem that things have changed.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 14
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 11:56:28 AM   
jmcmchi

quote:

Yes, I use them to ship wine to my daughter on the east coast…..sofar they have been reliable

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 15
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 1:38:45 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB
The only thing I do that you didn't is to redirect everything to a local Fedex print-and-ship location that has in-store A/C for the employees to not roast during the summer.

I get that. And I do redirect to a local Kinkos (20 miles away) if I'm not going to be home to accept delivery. I don't like the wine riding around for multiple days even in more or less mild temps.

But it wouldn't have saved me this time, the problem wasn't the truck ride, it was that the truck never left the Burlington station (60 miles away) for delivery at all. The only difference possible is that the box would have been on a different truck that had been able to leave the station, which isn't something you can anticipate. But on another day, that truck might have been the one that didn't leave the station.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 16
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/4/2023 1:40:57 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

quote:

While acknowledging that our experiences will necessarily be somewhat subjective, the past year has been earth-shaking for me. I always considered FedEx to be the 'gold standard,' but Holy Crow it does seem that things have changed.

Sure is the case where I live. I used to specify FedEx even with shippers who preferred UPS. No longer! About every other delivery goes wrong in some way, but I haven't had any complaints about UPS in awhile.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 17
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/6/2023 10:53:58 AM   
Jenise

Update: on Friday, the shipper agreed to pay for return of the shipment. They sent a return label. In the meantime, a delivery was attempted on Thursday but we weren't home (original ETA was Wednesday) and Friday night at almost 7 p.m. Fedex posted another "operational delay, delivery not attempted". No word since.

Sad situation, but even sadder because anymore this is not unusual for FedEx. I've been through this four or five times in the last two years. What's unusual is when something's delivered on time.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 18
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/6/2023 12:40:12 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

What's unusual is when something's delivered on time.
\

I've had similar experiences with Fedex, but I do know some people that like it better than UPS. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual drivers on your route and the particular distribution center that is used.

I always try to use UPS. The drivers always bring my wine to my front door, even though it requires them to climb stairs.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 19
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/7/2023 11:45:01 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Sorry for your exprience, Jenise.

I had FedEx 6-pack coming from Seattle. The winery (Erica Orr) DID wait until the temps were moderate, <80, which is unheard of for Yakima summer, but it was a one day delivery trip. Except, apparently the Seattle-Yakima FedEx route goes through Portland, Oregon. Odd. I got a delay e-mail similar to you, but Portland was cool, and the box arrived next morning in Cowiche in cool and good condition. More Chenin for the last days of summer.

Overall our UPS delivery does seems better. Barb even has Doug's phone number and we have met him other places than our driveway at times. He also brings dog treats, and we re-stock his supply every once in a while.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 20
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/7/2023 12:34:33 PM   
garetjax_kison

I think it very much depends on your driver, distribution center and their routes (only right turns). In my case, FEDEX has been preferable to UPS because I can usually redirect to the local FEDEX Office (formerly Kinko's) which is often their first stop if I am not going to be home to sign (free of charge) and they deliver usually by Noon due to the drivers routing versus UPS where my small townhouse complex is literally the driver's very last stop before heading back to the yard. During the holiday shipping silly season, stuff coming via UPS routinely is delivered after 10:00 PM. I have experienced the "out for delivery" lie from all of the carriers - UPS, FEDEX, USPS and Amazon -- for all sorts of stuff including wine.

< Message edited by garetjax_kison -- 8/7/2023 12:35:35 PM >

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 21
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/8/2023 2:44:42 PM   
skifree

I route FedEx to my local Walgreen's. Never had a hitch.

That said, I am in a much more urban area than you Jenise. Hopefully you get your wine before too long.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to garetjax_kison)
Post #: 22
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 8/10/2023 6:16:38 AM   
Jenise

Skifree, the wine was finally delivered Tuesday but I was waiting for it with a return label. It had been riding around on that truck since Wednesday of last week. Too warm here for that kind of abuse. There's a Walgreens about 12 miles away that I can redirect to and have many times. I just don't take advantage of that if I'm going to be home on the intended delivery date and the shipment had been going as planned, exactly the case last week--until it wasn't.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 23
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 5/8/2024 5:16:00 PM   
khmark7

I've really noticed a drop off in service from FedEx.....a large number of times I never get notifications from FedEx regarding the status of my shipments, and my most recent shipment (from Sandlands) not only was there no notifications, but NO door tags.....and again no notifications and when I happened to realize the shipment never arrived and I checked the Sandlands email with the tracking number they were already threatening to ship the package back to California. This time I scheduled the package to be left at a local FedEx location and was awaiting the confirmation.....which never arrived after ONE ENTIRE WEEK. Best part.....i called customer service and they were completely useless. Sandlands has had better luck through their contact person, but nobody has yet to be able to tell me where my package is and when I can pick it up, if it hasn't already been shipped back to California or probably more likely just lost.

Gonna ask Sandlands to please send me a replacement shipment via UPS. This is ridiculous.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 24
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 5/8/2024 10:16:48 PM   
recotte

One more voice on the "FedEx has really gone downhill" bandwagon. Indeed, up until the last couple of years, I would have sworn that FedEx was superior to UPS. Alas, no more. I regularly divert FedEx wine shipments to my local FedEx store, as delivery to my home--not at all off the beaten path--proved troublesome, with multiple instances of "delivery attempts" reported, even though I was sitting at home, waiting for them, if not right at the door! No knock on the door, just a tag stuck on there, and off they go. Faster to stick on a door tag than wait for someone to come to the door, I suppose. Most recently, I diverted a package to the FedEx store, and their app reported a delivery exception. No explanation, of course, just that the delivery hadn't occurred, and it was pending a revised delivery date. This didn't change for several days, and there was certainly no notification that the shipment had reached the store and was waiting for me. We were having a spell of cool weather, so I wasn't concerned about heat damage, but I was getting worried that the box was straight up lost. I just happened to check the status on my laptop one afternoon, rather than through the app, and, lo and behold, while the status was still showing a delivery exception, when I expanded the status updates... it had been delivered! On the original date! Ugh.

My UPS guy is great... we have a wink and a nod arrangement that he'll leave alcohol shipments in a spot that you can't see from the street if I'm not there to sign for it. Once in a blue moon, when there's a substitute driver for the route, I'll miss a shipment, but that's sufficiently infrequent since I work from home that it's not a big deal.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 25
RE: Fed Ex woes--what would you do? - 5/10/2024 1:22:01 PM   
wadcorp

About every other time we receive a package via FedEx, it comes the day AFTER the expected delivery date.

Never any explanation, just a day later.

Looking at the status of the shipment, it almost always is here in Kansas City… sitting.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Fed Ex woes--what would you do? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI