CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/6/2023 12:36:47 PM   
pinskycellar

quote:

ORIGINAL: anevard

Sorry it takes a while to provide answers, but I have very little free time these days. I do really like that people are using this so I will try and help whenever I can. See my answers below.

So you actually need 3 line items in order to display a depth chart bin. You need the front and back items as well as the depth chart item. See the image below with the 3 items for a particluar bin highlighted. It was the simplist way I could make things work, although it does require the user to enter that 3rd line. I was hoping to automate that someday, but I just don't have enough bandwidth.

Ok, adding the Depth row entry was the missing piece for me. Once I added those, the Depth chart began showing up and matches the Front/Back for where bins are full/empty/partial. The only thing I noticed is that if I change the view to the Bottles of Max or Actual Bottles in Bin, it shows 0/2 and 0 respectively. Not sure if that count is supposed to work or not for the Depth chart or if I'm missing one more piece.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pinskycellar
Some other observations:

- If you have multiple tabs for different locations and those locations share a common bin name (Cellar1-A1 and Cellar2-A1), when you double click on that bin in either tab, all bottles from both tabs are listed. Similarly, if a bin shares the same name as the location (House-House), then when you double click on that bin, all bottles are listed twice.

Hmm, that seems like a bug. Not a situation in my cellar so I will have to try and hunt it down when I have some free time.

No worries, I've worked around the issue by add a unique bin name for each of my different locations. Not as "wife friendly" as I would like, but it works for now.

quote:

- It seems that if you don't have enough bins across a tab, you can't access the dropdown that allows you to see different views (MaxBottles, BottlesofMax, etc) on that tab.

Well that dropdown does extend across 8 columns, so I guess if your bins don't go that far across it is an issue. There is some code that prevents scrolling too far to the right of the bins once the sheet is finalized. I could eventually prevent that scrolling from being no less than 8 columns in a future version. In the meantime why not put your bins a little further to the right so that they end at the 8 or 9th column even if there is nothing to their left.

Yeah, I'll do that for now.

quote:

- You can't match bottles based on only location with no bin specified. This would be useful for locations where I don't track bins like inside my house. As a workaround, I created a fake bin name called "Inside" for a couple of locations which lead to the discovery above.

All the code revolves around Location-Bin combinations, except when there is a bug like the one mentioned above. So you do need to have some sort of bin name.

Ok, I've got the made up bin names to deal with it.

quote:

All in all though, I'm really digging the self-service aspect of this new generation of the spreadsheet. If I can get the Depth Chart working, I think I can work around the other little idiosyncrasies.

Thanks!

Glad it is pretty much working for you. Makes me happy to help people drink more wine, except that prices are getting insane.

Thanks for providing this new version. It just confirms what the visual of my wine cellar tells me...I have too much wine and no room left to add any more!

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 151
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/6/2023 4:30:01 PM   
anevard

quote:

The only thing I noticed is that if I change the view to the Bottles of Max or Actual Bottles in Bin, it shows 0/2 and 0 respectively. Not sure if that count is supposed to work or not for the Depth chart or if I'm missing one more piece.

Ok I found that bug. Will try and fix it soon. The issue will be migrating to the new sheet, but at least we are advancing the cause.

Andrew

(in reply to pinskycellar)
Post #: 152
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/6/2023 5:21:06 PM   
pinskycellar

quote:

quote:

The only thing I noticed is that if I change the view to the Bottles of Max or Actual Bottles in Bin, it shows 0/2 and 0 respectively. Not sure if that count is supposed to work or not for the Depth chart or if I'm missing one more piece.

Ok I found that bug. Will try and fix it soon. The issue will be migrating to the new sheet, but at least we are advancing the cause.

Oh good! Might be easier for me to simply edit the code than having to migrate to a whole new sheet. PM info to do that if it's possible.

Thanks!

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 153
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/14/2023 10:38:55 AM   
pinskycellar

Hi Andrew -

Found another interesting little bug. If the Start or End date for a bottle is blank, that field will show 1899 for the bottle in the bin double-click dialog.

Post #: 154
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 11/14/2023 4:34:06 PM   
anevard

quote:

Hi Andrew -

Found another interesting little bug. If the Start or End date for a bottle is blank, that field will show 1899 for the bottle in the bin double-click dialog.

Hmm. Kind of cool. I'll add it to the list. Not something I really noticed as pretty much all my dates are not empty.

Andrew

Post #: 155
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/15/2024 10:43:51 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

quote:

Hey

Glad to see you are trying the new version even if it’s not working for you

Take a look at this post. I believe it is a security issue in excel and power query. This is a solution that seems to solve the problem. However I am not sure this new version will work on a Mac. Please let me know.

CellarMap Excel security issue

That worked (on a Windows PC). Thanks, Andrew.

This fix didn't work for me, on a Windows PC too w/O365 but am saving files only to my PC. My inventory populates in the web browser, but not in Excel. Will PM jmc167 to see if he might have time to assist. I was also on the early download list!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Sean McGrath)
Post #: 156
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/15/2024 5:17:25 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stefan

Yes!
That works. I also found a work around in the other sheet you sent. The query "GetWeb = Web.Page(Web.Contents(Source))" did not work with the url as input Source. But when I just pasted the webquery-url in quotation marks, it worked.

Anyhow, now that my table is populated I can look further and see if all works as expected. Great!

On the file menu, under Data, Queries & Connections, I don't see a query named "GetWeb..." I'm guessing the new name is GetInventory as the column headings seem to match those in the tab Individual Bottles. In the query table, when I hover the pointer over this query, I'm not allowed to "View in Worksheet" nor Edit, so I'm not able to see if this workaround will work for me. However, while hovering the mouse under the title Data Sources, there is an image continually circling as if it's refreshing and never stops, even though nothing ever appears in the Indid'l Bottles tab. I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

< Message edited by wine247365 -- 2/15/2024 5:20:53 PM >

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Stefan)
Post #: 157
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/18/2024 11:53:07 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean McGrath

quote:

Hey

Glad to see you are trying the new version even if it’s not working for you

Take a look at this post. I believe it is a security issue in excel and power query. This is a solution that seems to solve the problem. However I am not sure this new version will work on a Mac. Please let me know.

CellarMap Excel security issue

That worked (on a Windows PC). Thanks, Andrew.

This fix didn't work for me, on a Windows PC too w/O365 but am saving files only to my PC. My inventory populates in the web browser, but not in Excel. Will PM jmc167 to see if he might have time to assist. I was also on the early download list!

To close the loop on my login fails, it ended up being as simple as removing the special character from my Cellar tracker password. Unfortunately, jmc167 had to give up about 90 minutes this morning troubleshooting with me, with some diversions for wine talk along the way. Many thanks to you John and I sincerely appreciate your help with solving my data import challenge.

I searched this thread for any key words involving special or characters and couldn't find anything, so for anyone reading this in the future, I'm going to write this next sentence in ALL CAPS so that it pops out a little from the 6 pages of back-n-forth. Apologies to those with sensitive hearing in advance!

YOUR CELLARTACKER PASSWORD CANNOT HAVE A SPECIAL CHARACTER AS IT WILL MAKE THE DATA IMPORT OF YOUR BOTTLES FAIL DURING THE LOGIN PROCESS OF THE EXCEL FILE.

[While looking thru the thread to learn how to visually construct my cellar representation, I just found Andrew's password guidance on pg. 4 in the post of RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/25/2023 1:35:36 PM. Map construction guidance begins pg 5 with this...Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 3/5/2023 6:58:47 AM ]

< Message edited by wine247365 -- 2/18/2024 12:19:52 PM >

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 158
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/18/2024 12:05:52 PM   
jmc167

quote:

To close the loop on my login fails, it ended up being as simple as removing the special character from my Cellar tracker password. Unfortunately, jmc167 had to give up about 90 minutes this morning troubleshooting with me, with some diversions for wine talk along the way. Many thanks to you John and I sincerely appreciate your help with solving my data import challenge.

I searched this thread for any key words involving special or characters and couldn't find anything, so for anyone reading this in the future, I'm going to write this next sentence in ALL CAPS so that it pops out a little from the 6 pages of back-n-forth. Apologies to those with sensitive hearing in advance!

YOUR CELLARTACKER PASSWORD CANNOT HAVE A SPECIAL CHARACTER AS IT WILL MAKE THE DATA IMPORT OF YOUR BOTTLES FAIL DURING THE LOGIN PROCESS OF THE EXCEL FILE.

Jim - I had a great time this morning, glad we had a second cellar map spreadsheet that helped point us back to your original thought that you mentioned 15 minutes into the call - take care!

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 159
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/19/2024 3:54:03 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmc167

1) So earlier this evening, per the screenshot below, I could not move my cursor past column R, so was unable to select any cells beyond column R and view the bottles in that bin, or do any formatting. I then moved the Bins to left (starting in column A) and then the cursor would not move past column O, so it seemed the cursor could never get to the last three columns in the sheet. After moving the Bins from Rows X through AJ to column A start at Row 30, now I can navigate to all cells, so perhaps I just needed to run the refresh bins a few times.

Hi John,

I've moved onto the mapping part of my cellar and have a similar issue to what you called out above. I can't move my display to the right beyond column X nor down below row 25. As you noted at the end above, I have refreshed my bins a few times but it hasn't changed my restricted displays. Would you have any other suggestions?

Since my home cellar has two doors with a front and back bin for each, I'll have four panels of Bins and SheetCellLoc's to build down in my map tab, so need at least 62 rows of visibility, if not more. Thanks!

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 160
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/20/2024 8:48:47 PM   
jmc167

quote:

I've moved onto the mapping part of my cellar and have a similar issue to what you called out above. I can't move my display to the right beyond column X nor down below row 25. As you noted at the end above, I have refreshed my bins a few times but it hasn't changed my restricted displays. Would you have any other suggestions?

Hi Jim - sorry for the delay in my reply and yes, I have found success in going down the Excel sheet as opposed to across.

So my map was out to Column AD or something and I had the same issue, so instead of spreading my "walls" horizontally across the page, I put them vertically down the page.

Also, when I have the navigation freeze-up happen, what I also do is:

1) Copy all the data from my AllBinsList sheet (columns A through G only) to another sheet as a backup, so I do not lose the data
2) Select all data on the AllBinsList and right click and then "clear contents"
3) Then I click on between the Bin Tabs and individual bottle list to refresh the bin set-up to ensure all the bins are removed and everything is empty
4) Then I copy the data from the sheet I created in Step 1 above back to the AllBinsList sheet and again click on between the cellar sheets and individual bottle list to refresh the bin set-up to ensure everything is back, and *usually* this will clear up the navigation freezing issue.
5) If this does not solve the problem, then I have gone so far as to download a fresh copy of the spreadsheet and recreate the Bin sheets and copy in the data from my backup of the AllBinsList and this will usually work as well.

Good Luck!

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 161
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 2/21/2024 9:19:21 AM   
wine247365

I’m busy for about the next week so will give those fixes a try then and revert with results. TYVM, John!!!

< Message edited by wine247365 -- 2/21/2024 9:22:51 AM >

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 162
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 3/31/2024 1:17:00 PM   
anevard

Hi Jim and John,

Sorry I haven't been around, and I don't seem to be getting notices from the forum anymore.

Glad to see you guys have been finding solutions to some of the issues. I am here if I can help but please understand that I am 1. not a professional software developer and 2. really busy these days with work and life in general. That being said I hope that the spreadsheet is working for you and others. It works well for me and I use it every day.

I will try and check in more often and if you are still having issues, or just want to explore things, let me know.

Cheers,

Andrew

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 163
RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet - 4/3/2024 5:12:42 PM   
wine247365

Hi Andrew,

Not a problem! Per my post of 2/21, I'd hoped to continue working on my mapping, but other priorities arose. Life’s been super busy since you provided with guidance on my tab refresh questions so haven’t had the chance to work on your suggested solutions. I’ll be busy until May 20 so won’t be able to look at it until sometime after then. I hope all’s well with you and we’ll have to see how Eric’s new changes impact the visual cellar map. I look forward to getting my map going!

Best Regards,
Jim

(in reply to anevard)
Post #: 164
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> CellarTracker Support >> RE: Cellar Map - new spreadsheet Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI